ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gender Genie!

(1/4) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Using text snippets, the Gender Genie uses complicated scientifical text analysis to guess the gender of an author:

I'm a boy!  My gender confusion is finally over.  *sob*

If I were writing such a thing, I'd just flip a random number.  Leaving out transsexuals and folks who are unsure, there'd be a 50% shot at getting it right.

Links to a paper describing the algorithm are included at the site, but I gotta wonder... what real application does this have?  Extra-better spam target profiling?  Fewer ENHANC3 YR PEN!S!!! emails sent to my sister?

app103:
I ran a lot of my longer blog posts through this just to see what it would say. It seems to think I am male, most of the time.  :huh:

momonan:
I got male on one and female on the other.  Am I in trouble?

Seems like the more "educated" I write, the more likely I am to be identified as male, whereas a more conversational tone marks me as a female.

Okay, I understand that they are different styles of writing, but doncha see me changin my lil' self before yer I's? :P

Ralf Maximus:
I ran a lot of my longer blog posts through this just to see what it would say. It seems to think I am male, most of the time.  :huh:
-app103 (November 20, 2007, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that's obvious, right?  You're a dude.  I mean, everyone knows chicks can't program.

:-)

app103:
What it is doing is counting the instances of certain keywords it considers 'masculine' and 'feminine'. It is ignoring the rest of the text.

I fail to see how any writing that contains a high amount of a word like 'the' is more likely to be written by a man, than some writing that has a higher amount of a word like 'and'.

This is how they break down the word usage:

Feminine KeywordsMasculine Keywordswitharoundifwhatnotmorewherearebeaswhenwhoyourbelowheriswetheseshouldthesheaandatmeitmyselfmanyherssaidwasaboveto
Note that almost half of the words they consider feminine, are used when referring to people.

To me, their list seems to imply that they think women tend to write more about people, and men tend to write more about objects, how many of them, and where they are.  :-\

Well, that's obvious, right?  You're a dude.  I mean, everyone knows chicks can't program.

:-)
-Ralf Maximus (November 20, 2007, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Who said I can program?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version