ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon's Kindle eBook Reader

(1/7) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Just announced, Amazon's Kindle eBook reader.

Weighs just 10 oz., has build-in wi-fi, costs $399, and handles a variety of eBook formats.  Naturally, you can browse Amazon directly and click the "Buy" button to download books seamlessly.  It'll store about 200 books in memory at a time and features a display optimized to look "just like paper".

I've evaluated eBook readers in the past and found them wanting.  The technology has been clunky, and manufacturers seem to go out of business constantly, leaving users of proprietary eBook formats out in the cold (I'm looking at you, RockIt).  This one has the backing of Jeff Bezos' insane fortune, combined with the throw-weight of Amazon's 600 pound gorilla.  How can it fail?

I'm not sure if it'll revolutionize the eBook experience as all the hype suggests, but it will certainly reKindle interest in this mostly forgotten library branch of the paperless experience.

Lashiec:
Sony also released one recently, Ars Technica have a review of it. The price is the same, what a coincidence :P

Personally, I think (and I really wish) that this will be the future of books. The vision of carrying tons of books in a small piece of hardware is really appealling to me. Of course, if manufacturers continue to add the damn DRM, non-standard formats, and high prices, both for hardware and for books, I think I'll let someone to continue making paper out of trees, thank you.

Edvard:
What's the display like?
Is it traditional lcd or the new e-paper stuff?

ljbirns:
 " but it will certainly reKindle interest "   I love that line.

I for one am interested in a reader.  I looked at the Sony last year, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger . But I would really like to try before I shell out $ 400.00.

Lew

Ralf Maximus:
What's the display like?
Is it traditional lcd or the new e-paper stuff?
-Edvard (November 19, 2007, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not the fancy bendy ePaper such as you cite.  It's a traditional rigid LCD panel.  But...

"Utilizing a new high-resolution display technology called electronic paper, Kindle provides a crisp black-and-white screen that resembles the appearance and readability of printed paper. The screen works using ink, just like books and newspapers, but displays the ink particles electronically. It reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, eliminating the glare associated with other electronic displays. As a result, Kindle can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room.The screen never gets hot so you can comfortably read as long as you like."

That's from the Amazon web site.  From the photos I'd guess it's an extremey dense LCD display with LED backlighting, possible for the price since it's only black and white.  I imagine there's some heavy-duty antialiasing software in there too.

Oh, and here's a quick head-to-head with the Sony reader, via Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4232344.html?nav=RSS20

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version