ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

strange RAM problem - any ideas?

(1/3) > >>

brotherS:
Hi,

I have this problem when I run my Windows 2000 Pro (all SPs, most updates) for a longer period. In a few hours I will have reached 1 month uptime (my personal record) :) and since a few days I can't use all of my RAM anymore.

Stats are like
but I can't open new programs or even the Windows task manager before I close (for example) one of the IE windows or Winamp. They just won't open up.

Even if I close something else first a fresh opened window might have drawing issues or some menues are incomplete - like the tray icon menu for Screenshot Captor (no "exit" option):

Could I fix this WITHOUT having to restart Windows? Any ideas?

Btw, 50 to 60 processes are active all the time - I like multi-tasking ;)

Carol Haynes:
Sounds like it could be a memory leak.

Can you snapshot your running tasks in TaskManager ?

mouser:
yep, sounds like gdi or memory leak.
you need to install a program that reports memory/gdi use.
TaskInfo is the one i use but some other free ones have been reported on this forum.
probably too late to fix it until next reboot.
or you could try exiting programs until you get some memory back.

brotherS:
Thanks you two, see the running processes below. If you think "that's a LOT of IE instances!" you are right - since Firefox can't handle many tabs without using more than 200 or even more than 300 MB of RAM here I have to wait for the final 1.5 Firefox to use it again.

you need to install a program that reports memory/gdi use.
TaskInfo is the one i use but some other free ones have been reported on this forum.

--- End quote ---
Could you personally recommend some freeware tool for doing so?

Carol Haynes:
Checkout TaskInfo

Can't see anything in your TaskManager listing (except for Leerlaufprozess 97% CPU - what is that) ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version