topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Useful firefox extension for FARR users  (Read 5087 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Useful firefox extension for FARR users
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:23 AM »
Since I started using FARR I'm used to hitting "enter" when the first option is the one I want. Problem is, I do the same thing in Firefox: In the newer versions, you can type part of the middle of a URL or part of the title of a page you've been to (or bookmarked) and it will give a drop-down list of matches. Then you hit enter (like in FARR) and you get a search for the term you typed instead of the first option in the list. I don't use search from the address bar (or as it's now called, the "AWESOME bar") so this extension is perfect.

It tries to detect if you've typed a URL and if so it moves the focus back to the bar itself rather than the first list item. A few times I've found that if I typed too fast it selected the first result rather than the URL, though.

This extension disables a few uses of the AWESOME bar that I didn't use such as quicksearches and bookmark keywords

By the way, I searched the forum and found a mention of this extension buried in a list of favorite firefox extensions, but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of FARR users like myself.

Enter Selects

There is a snippit of AHK code in one of the comments for achieving the same thing, by the way.

Eric

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Useful firefox extension for FARR users
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:42 PM »
AWESOME, thanks for this!

I constantly find myself doing the same thing you mentioned when I happen to use the awesome bar and it's incredibly frustrating - so this extension will help a lot!

Incidentally I've entirely replaced all of my bookmark keyword searches with FARR now, so that missing feature with this extension is a non-issue.  As a matter of fact, most of the time I hardly use the firefox address bar anyway - it's so much more convenient (even when Firefox is already open) to just Alt+Space (my FARR shortcut) and type in the web address there, then having to remember Ctrl+L in Firefox as well.  Now if only if FARR could integrate Firefox's autocomplete/awesomebar-awesomeness...

Thanks!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:36 AM »
Incidentally I've entirely replaced all of my bookmark keyword searches with FARR now, so that missing feature with this extension is a non-issue.  As a matter of fact, most of the time I hardly use the firefox address bar anyway - it's so much more convenient (even when Firefox is already open) to just Alt+Space (my FARR shortcut) and type in the web address there, then having to remember Ctrl+L in Firefox as well.  Now if only if FARR could integrate Firefox's autocomplete/awesomebar-awesomeness...

with the FarrFox plugin, Farr can do that but only partially since it doesn't work with history, only bookmarks.

lmennuti

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Thanks ayryq