topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a special RSS reader  (Read 9091 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a special RSS reader
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Does anybody know of a free RSS reader that is (or has) a ticker that can be docked at the bottom of my screen? (this location is important, as I already have too much at the top of my screen)

I would want the ticker to be quite thin and not take up that much screen space.

I would also want it to scroll, cycling through the headlines (10 most recent) of all my feeds and not just a single feed. And it needs to be able to handle a LOT of feeds.

It should show a snip of the content for an entry on hover, and go to the page related to it in my default browser when clicked.

What I am looking for is something resembling this:

rss ticker.pngLooking for a special RSS reader

The problem with the one shown is that it doesn't dock, it just stays on top...and it only shows a single feed...and it closes itself if I close my browser.  :(

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a special RSS reader
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:27 PM »
Newzie ( http://newzie.com/ ) does all what you want. It is free and handles lots of feeds without any problem.

To display the NewsBar use :
Preferences>Display>Visual Modes>NewsBar

Then go to the NewsBar tab in the Preferences panel and customize the NewsBar to display the news that you want.

To move the NewsBar click somewhere between the displayed news and drag it. It doesn't dock, but it can be resized at will.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:18 PM »
The docking is kind of important, because I don't want it overlapping open windows.

Except for the fact it doesn't dock, it's the most beautiful RSS reader I have ever seen!  :-*

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:41 PM »
i use newzie too and since the program is in active development you can drop a mail to the devs to include docking features. also allSnap can be used to achieve some pseudo-docking ability..

http://newzie.com/ne...out.php?type=contact

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:14 AM »
resurecting this old thread... it looks like Newzie development has been suspended, anybody here still using it?
I'm using Google Reader for my RSS reading, but it definitely lacks some advanced features only found in desktop software, if you're using a desktop software for RSS agregation, which one are you using and why?
I'm tried feeddemon, but I don't really like it, RSS bandit is too buggy for me, newzie seems very nice, but I don't want to invest time in a dead product.

Cheers  /jerome

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:47 AM »
if you're using a desktop software for RSS agregation, which one are you using and why?

GreatNews because it works through the proxy.pac-type proxy we have at work.  Some of the others don't, like FeedReader (even though it says it can use whatever IE is using).

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08 AM »
I don't care if Newzie is dead...I'll keep using it till I am on some version of Windows it won't work with (at least the next 10 years or till something better comes along).

I love it that much.  :-*

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:35 PM »
I'm also using Newzie, it has some unique features that set it apart from the rest of the readers (page monitoring, color-coded feeds according to the time of the last update, news slideshow...), and aside from some bugs and usability issues (like when you click on the title of the article, it gets opened in another tab in the reader, and there's no way to change this), it's pretty much complete.

Looking at the state of RSS readers, it looks like there are not many things going nowadays, apart from improving integration with online readers (RSSBandit recently implemented synchronization with Google Reader, a first in the field), and most programs are abandoned. One could argue that Google Reader killed most of them, but I think the problem is that the RSS thing didn't really catch-up with with users, and being such a competitive field, I guess that once the programs reached a certain state, the coders didn't found many reasons to keep improving them. Or not, who knows :)

Personally, I think FeedDemon is the best hands down, although the lack of page monitoring is a deal killer for me. RSSBandit is also pretty cool, as well as FeedReader and GreatNews. The rest are more or less OK, there's a serious focus in using Java and .NET for some obscure reason, and the bigger problems with the other alternatives are mostly cosmetic and usage related: Alertbear lacks some basic functions, BlogBridge is partially broken, RSSOwl clones Eclipse interface (I don't know if that's a good thing or not), Awasu is ugly as hell, OmeaReader tries to be a lot of things, and fails at everything (while being the only payware reader in the bunch, since the free version is pretty limited)... Some can't even get the most basic feeds as they should, so...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 03:41 AM »
I don't care if Newzie is dead...I'll keep using it till I am on some version of Windows it won't work with

app103, I thought you were using Win95?  The Newzie download page states:

Requirements
In order to run Newzie, you need to have at least following configuration :

1. Microsoft 2000, XP, 2003 or Vista.

2. Pentium 300 MHz or higher processor.

3. 64MB RAM.

4. Internet Explorer 4 or higher.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 08:44 AM »
app103, I thought you were using Win95? 

I am not using Newzie on this pc, but it is on my other one, even though that one is dead at the moment. That's an XP pc that can handle almost anything you can throw at it, when it's running.

It won't be down forever nor will I be on this old hunk of WinME junk forever.

BTW, I do have access to a desktop through RDP on a friend's machine running 2008 server, with admin privs, but I use that only for working...not fun (but it's fun work  ;)).

I could install Newzie on there if I really wanted to (my friend wouldn't mind), but I choose not to. I would only consider it if it somehow made me more productive at getting work done, which it wouldn't.  :-[

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:51 AM »
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>