ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a special RSS reader

<< < (2/3) > >>

rjbull:
if you're using a desktop software for RSS agregation, which one are you using and why?
-jeromg (July 02, 2008, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

GreatNews because it works through the proxy.pac-type proxy we have at work.  Some of the others don't, like FeedReader (even though it says it can use whatever IE is using).

app103:
I don't care if Newzie is dead...I'll keep using it till I am on some version of Windows it won't work with (at least the next 10 years or till something better comes along).

I love it that much.  :-*

Lashiec:
I'm also using Newzie, it has some unique features that set it apart from the rest of the readers (page monitoring, color-coded feeds according to the time of the last update, news slideshow...), and aside from some bugs and usability issues (like when you click on the title of the article, it gets opened in another tab in the reader, and there's no way to change this), it's pretty much complete.

Looking at the state of RSS readers, it looks like there are not many things going nowadays, apart from improving integration with online readers (RSSBandit recently implemented synchronization with Google Reader, a first in the field), and most programs are abandoned. One could argue that Google Reader killed most of them, but I think the problem is that the RSS thing didn't really catch-up with with users, and being such a competitive field, I guess that once the programs reached a certain state, the coders didn't found many reasons to keep improving them. Or not, who knows :)

Personally, I think FeedDemon is the best hands down, although the lack of page monitoring is a deal killer for me. RSSBandit is also pretty cool, as well as FeedReader and GreatNews. The rest are more or less OK, there's a serious focus in using Java and .NET for some obscure reason, and the bigger problems with the other alternatives are mostly cosmetic and usage related: Alertbear lacks some basic functions, BlogBridge is partially broken, RSSOwl clones Eclipse interface (I don't know if that's a good thing or not), Awasu is ugly as hell, OmeaReader tries to be a lot of things, and fails at everything (while being the only payware reader in the bunch, since the free version is pretty limited)... Some can't even get the most basic feeds as they should, so...

rjbull:
I don't care if Newzie is dead...I'll keep using it till I am on some version of Windows it won't work with
-app103 (July 02, 2008, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

app103, I thought you were using Win95?  The Newzie download page states:

Requirements
In order to run Newzie, you need to have at least following configuration :

1. Microsoft 2000, XP, 2003 or Vista.

2. Pentium 300 MHz or higher processor.

3. 64MB RAM.

4. Internet Explorer 4 or higher.

--- End quote ---

app103:
app103, I thought you were using Win95? 
-rjbull (July 03, 2008, 03:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not using Newzie on this pc, but it is on my other one, even though that one is dead at the moment. That's an XP pc that can handle almost anything you can throw at it, when it's running.

It won't be down forever nor will I be on this old hunk of WinME junk forever.

BTW, I do have access to a desktop through RDP on a friend's machine running 2008 server, with admin privs, but I use that only for working...not fun (but it's fun work  ;)).

I could install Newzie on there if I really wanted to (my friend wouldn't mind), but I choose not to. I would only consider it if it somehow made me more productive at getting work done, which it wouldn't.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version