ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone Getting a Spamalanche Lately?

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
Pretty much every time I hear about a serious exploit, I find that I get a lot more spam very shortly thereafter:

Reference (Jan. 10, 2008):

STEVE:  Okay.  Now, okay.  The takeaway message is absolutely everyone needs to run Windows Update.  Last Tuesday was the second Tuesday of the year.  Since the first Tuesday, of course, was January 1st, it was January 8 was the so-called "Patch Tuesday," when Microsoft releases their security updates.  This week we had a doozy.  It turns out that private parties informed Microsoft of a very low-level buffer overflow which permits remote code execution in the Windows TCP/IP stack itself.  So, and this is...

LEO:  Oh, is it the new stack that they wrote, or is this the old stack?

STEVE:  Well, this is XP's stack.  And it's believed that there is a problem in Windows 2000 as well.  So this has been around for a long time.  What makes this specifically bad is this is down - it's in what's called the IGMP, the Internet Group Management Protocol.  That's a multicast protocol.  And but the point is, this is not like a service running with an open port where the service has the problem.  This is the core of the stack itself.

--- End quote ---

iphigenie:
its just gone back to normal today for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version