ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop or Desktop — which are you?

<< < (5/10) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Desktop, most definitely - but wouldn't mind having a decent portable laptop for when I'm on the road...
-f0dder (November 17, 2007, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've got a standard laptop for road-warrioring, and a tablet PC for play.  Both are too large to just tuck under my arm for a Starbucks break or for composing idle thoughts at a bistro.

I'd really like an ultra-portable, something in the 1.5 pound range, maybe somewhat larger than a big paperback book.  There used to be an array of such devices (Sony, Fujitsu) but now everyone's creaming about tablets, and so that's all there is.

Why'd the world go tablet-crazy anyhow?  I just don't see the attraction once you get past the "cool, I can sign my name" phase.

Lashiec:
So, you want an Asus EEE, Ralf? :)

Ralf Maximus:
So, you want an Asus EEE, Ralf? :)
-Lashiec (November 17, 2007, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holy shiat, it's beautiful.  Alas, not sold in the US, so I can't lay my paws on one for testing.  Any experience with the wee beastie?

Lashiec:
No, but plenty of positive reviews (search for Asus EEE to catch them all!)

Renegade:
The size of the computer doesn't matter too much - smaller is better though. The really important things are the human interface devices. i.e. Mouse, keyboard and monitor.

My IDEAL computer would be like this (total fantasy at the moment):

* Large visual display - Preferably of variable sizes for different situations, e.g. airplane vs. desk. Should unfold from a nice compact size up to between 15" and 30". Should also have an included stand/prop.

* Display is touch and laser sensitive. Touch is self-explanitory (ala the MS Surface technology). Laser is below...

* Hybrid wireless laser-pointer hover mouse - Acts like a regular mouse but includes a laser to point at the screen to control the pointer/cursor. Mouse can also be used in mid-air (hover) when you don't have a solid surface available - nice for traveling.

* Massive storage - 1 PB would be good. 4 TB would be ok for right now.

* Speed - Just plain mind-blowingly fast. You can never have enough raw power.

* Unfoldable compact wireless keyboard - Rolls out to full size. Has reinforcements to stabilize it when unfolded so it's hard like a real keyboard.

Sigh... Only a dream for the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version