ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop or Desktop — which are you?

<< < (6/10) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
No, but plenty of positive reviews (search for Asus EEE to catch them all!)
-Lashiec (November 17, 2007, 09:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey!  I was wrong; there appear to be sellers in the United States after all.  And the price is unbelievable: $399 USD.  That gets you:

- 900 MHz Intel Mobile Celeron
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB solid-state disk
- 800x480 LED-backlit display
- Integrated Wi-Fi
- Choice of Linux or WinXP

...more than enough for mobile play.  I used to own a Fujitsu lifebook P1, which was roughly the same form factor so I understand about small/crappy keyboards.  But for pecking away at a Starbucks or watching a movie on an airplane, it's ideal.

Thanks for the pointer!

UPDATE: Added some graphical bling to entice Mrs.Maximus to see things my way.  Look, honey!  It even comes with cheesecake.

hwtan:
I use a laptop mostly. Three reasons:

1. It saves the trouble of having to move data.
2. You can use it any where you want, on the train, etc.
3. It's more powerful than my company-assigned desktop.

The only thing I missed is the ability to use certain add on cards (e.g. PCI-X)

PPLandry:
I've been using laptops for more than 10 years, and I'm a full-time programmer. Portables are generally less troublesome and you can more them around (hence less tensions and fatigue).

They take less space, consume less power, make less noise.

PLUS, all portables support dual-screen! I have 1400.1050 on the portable and an 1600x1200 external monitor. Works beautifully!

Carol Haynes:

-Ralf Maximus (November 17, 2007, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not you is it Ralf  :tellme:

Carol Haynes:
The size of the computer doesn't matter too much - smaller is better though. The really important things are the human interface devices. i.e. Mouse, keyboard and monitor.

My IDEAL computer would be like this (total fantasy at the moment):

* Large visual display - Preferably of variable sizes for different situations, e.g. airplane vs. desk. Should unfold from a nice compact size up to between 15" and 30". Should also have an included stand/prop.

* Display is touch and laser sensitive. Touch is self-explanitory (ala the MS Surface technology). Laser is below...

* Hybrid wireless laser-pointer hover mouse - Acts like a regular mouse but includes a laser to point at the screen to control the pointer/cursor. Mouse can also be used in mid-air (hover) when you don't have a solid surface available - nice for traveling.

* Massive storage - 1 PB would be good. 4 TB would be ok for right now.

* Speed - Just plain mind-blowingly fast. You can never have enough raw power.

* Unfoldable compact wireless keyboard - Rolls out to full size. Has reinforcements to stabilize it when unfolded so it's hard like a real keyboard.

Sigh... Only a dream for the moment.
-Renegade (November 17, 2007, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can get roll up full size keyboards (and they are waterproof too) here's just one example: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=284

Now how about a roll up monitor - that would be nice, and if it were touch sensivitive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version