ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpySweeper from Webroot, trustworthy?

(1/2) > >>

tranglos:
Exhibit A: SpySweeper (webroot.com) installer wants your email. I guess it's okay, since if I eventually buy it, they'll know much more about me than my email...

Exhibit B: SpySweeper wants permission to phone your data home by default. Whoa, are we still installing an anti-spyware product?

Exhibit C: SpySweeper installer wants to give you a free gift - an Ask.com toolbar! And Search Assistant, too! You don't even have to click anything, you're opted in hands-free!

What more could you ask for?

wolf in sheep's clothing?
demur at trojan bounty
cancel, confirm, DEL

Ralf Maximus:
wolf in sheep's clothing?
demur at trojan bounty
cancel, confirm, DEL

--- End quote ---

Concise and beautiful.  Thank you.

tranglos:
Concise and beautiful.  Thank you.
-Ralf Maximus (November 16, 2007, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I return the bow, Ralf, yours are all lovely.

Lashiec:
It's perfectly normal these days on antispyware software. Except for the toolbar, of course (WHAT THE HELL?)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

EXHIBIT C (No, I didn't forget to turn CAPS off)

Reports might unintentionally contain personal information. To the extent that any personal information is included in a report, Microsoft does not use the information to identify you or contact you.

--- End quote ---

Well, thanks. You collect information about me accidentally </irony> (Though I understand how it's accidentally collected).

Darwin:
Dang! First Ralf and now tranglos. You guys are really upping the "highbrow" ante around here. Don't stop, I like it  :Thmbsup: (but I'm starting to feel inadequate!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version