ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

IDEA: Ability to set certain programs/windows to open and close in unison

<< < (2/5) > >>

lanux128:
exactly, that's why i thought he was having problems with exiting Live Messenger..

aidan_cage:
aHa!  Exactly.  I have been using Nobar for a little while to hide my taskbar.  In this way it takes an extra step for me to close applications that refuse to close via their on screen windows.  WLM is one of them, and LastFM is another.  LastFM opens automatically when I launch my music software, but when I choose to quit the music software, LastFM remains open in the sidebar--waiting. 

I think that I can make individual shortcuts to batch files that run shortcuts and scripts to accomplish this task, but I would really like a simple layout program that can accomplish this.

http://cybernetnews.com/2007/12/13/cybernotes-shortcuts-to-end-processes-and-programs/

I found this site to have some information.
So I guess I could set up single instance shortcuts that I could launch to terminate a couple programs at one time.
I guess it will do.

lanux128:
or you can use Farr instead which comes with a plugin called ProcessKill. This plugin when invoked will show a list of running processes and you can choose which one to kill..

aidan_cage:
this makes me feel even sillier for having paid into Dash Command
FARR would do that for me? awww, how sweet.
That would be an easy way to deal with things.  I guess I was originally thinking of a small program with a GUI similar to Tooler that would allow processes to be paired and unpaired, closed and opened.  Thanks for the info on FARR, I'll have to give it a try.  It would still require the conscious steps of my thinking about closing the programs when they're open.  It seems to also require steps, and maybe more steps than just running Nobar.exe, then right clicking the offending programs to close them.

lanux128:
in addition to plugins, Farr also supports aliases.. take a look at this thread for more usage example: FARR V2 core alias tables.

if you want a single script that toggles open/close state then a Autohotkey script similar to this can do the trick..

--- ---;Run metapad only if it is not already started
Process, Exist, metapad.exe
If ErrorLevel = 0
  Run, C:\Program Files\metapad\metapad.exe
Else  ;close the app
  WinClose, ahk_class metapad
Return

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version