ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Graphics Tablets - opinions (nudone, hamradio, tomos etc. care to chime in?)

<< < (4/7) > >>

ak_:
nudone> i tried to to come up with an answer to that, but as i never had issues with "absolute positionning", i don't know if it's because i've always used Wacom tablets or because the problem you're referring to never bothered me. So i think i can't help you here, sorry :(

nudone:
ak_, can i ask if you have it set to relative or absolute? well, i guess the question is more if you think that 1 inch on the tablet equals 1 inch on the screen (i'm hoping you'll say that 1 inch on the tablet doesn't equate to a great deal more than 1 inch on the screen).

if the tablet and screen movements are almost identical then i'd be happy. i probably sound like i'm making a big issue over nothing but it's something i was alarmed about when i last used a wacom. it's the main reason i don't own one right now. i'd always assumed that you'd be able to adjust this kind of thing with the leading tablet brand.

in other words, when you use a wacom and draw a circle about 1mm in diameter do you get a 1mm circle nicely drawn on screen (looking at 1mm even seems a bit too big really so maybe 0.5mm would be a better indication to test).

ak_:
Honestly, i don't see how such a thing would be convenient. I mean when i draw a line from the bottom-left corner to the upper-right of my tablet, it draws a line from the bottom-left corner to the upper-right of my screen and i think that's great, because i don't feel like buying a 24" tablet :) I don't feel like using 50% of my screen either.

This said, maybe the solution to your problem is using the stylus in "mouse mode" (you can select that in the configuration panel). But i think using the stylus this way would be really painful and annoying.

nudone:
ah right, i'm very surprised you are using it that way especially with the large monitor you've got.

the trust tablet i had was A4 in size, so quite large, and yet i found the 'relative' mode that you are using your tablet in to be kind of annoying. so i switched to 'absolute', only that it wasn't absolute - screen cursor movements were slightly exaggerated - but obviously not as much as they were compared to using 'relative' mode.

clearly you get used to whatever you have. to me 'absolute' seemed better because it seemed more accurate. it meant doing a stroking motion to get the cursor from one end of the screen to the other but after a few minutes this seemed perfectly natural. going back to 'relative' positioning seemed very strange - almost uncontrollable as the cursor jumps to match the location of the pen on the tablet rather than just following the short movements of your hand.

ideally it would be nice to have a tablet that corresponds to the screen 1:1 and then 'relative' and 'absolute' become the same. pity wacom cintiqs are crazy money.

tinjaw:
As an outside observer in this thread, one who has never looked into all of this, my guess is that the dpi of the screen (like 96 DPI on today's average LCD) would need to be calibrated to the DPI of the graphics tablet. They don't need to be in a 1:1 relationship, but once that is calibrated, you should get your "absolute" mode, nudone. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to speculate further, the software you had, nudone, might have been calibrated to a 72DPI screen, or some similar disparity may have existed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version