topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My challenge and how I propose to do it  (Read 12699 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My challenge and how I propose to do it
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:50 PM »
I decided to pick one of my neglected projects that is more than worth doing and get it done.

I have designated a personal pest to bug me every day to make at least 1 post to my ebook site until all 460 posts are made to transfer the content from the old site to the new.

For each day that he bugs me but I still don't make a post, I will donate $1 to someone on the forum, that he chooses. (but not himself)

There is only so much procrastinating I can do before I am broke, so I'll have to get it done.

The following people are the lucky recipients of my penalty $1's:

• skrommel (even though my pest failed to bug me to make a post, I thought it was only fair to pay up any way)
  • mouser
  • mackal

SNAG-0196.pngMy challenge and how I propose to do it
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:16 PM by app103 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My challenge and how I propose to do it
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:18 AM »
good luck app!
money is a good incentive
bit like whatsitcalled~the box where you put money in if you curse :)
now I wonder could I apply that somehow :-\
Tom

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:39 PM »
 :) Thanks, app103, your site looks very useful. But do you really have to transfer it manually?

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:44 PM »
RED ALERT RED ALERT
SKROMMEL SIGHTING!

skrommy i hope you will write us a new little utility for the GOE programming challenge.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:46 PM by mouser »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:36 PM »
:) Thanks, app103, your site looks very useful. But do you really have to transfer it manually?

Skrommel

Yes skrommel, I do.

The original site is a badly written static page full of just titles & links.

I am expanding that to include much more info and a post has to be written for each book.

This is what happens when you end up making a site that you never intended to. This was supposed to be just a text file that I passed along to people in a chatroom when they needed it.

If I had actually planned on having a site from the beginning, it would have been this way from the start. Then there wouldn't be so much work to do now.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Psychologists will tell you that rewards work better than punishments. Every time you fail and have to pay a dollar you're reinforcing negative feelings. It would be better to put a dollar aside every time you post and spend the money on something nice when you've achieved a certain milestone.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Actually, donating $1 to someone on this site who deserves it is not enough of a punishment...

I could imagine that it's like "hmm, if i am lazy today then some worthy person gets a dollar" - maybe too easy to make procrastinating positive.

Seriously, though, whats your site running on? there's got to be a way to import the content!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Seriously, though, whats your site running on? there's got to be a way to import the content!

New site is Wordpress.

Old site is a badly coded static HTML page that was originally a saved HTML copy of an email I sent someone with all the original links. It's just a list of book titles and URLs.

This whole site began by accident from a simple text file of titles & links I originally made for the benefit of visitors to my chatroom that were looking for stuff to learn from. I never intended to turn it into a website when I started the list. If I had, I would have done it properly, right from the beginning. The static HTML page was a rush job to put the links online for someone else I gave the list to. (the whole history of the site is here)

It has to be done manually because on the new site it's not just a list of book titles with links any more.

Each book needs a post with more info than the original site provided, title, author, file format of book, description, list of chapters, link to site, multiple relevant tags (on old site a book was listed in one section only, even if it could have fallen into multiple categories).

I don't know of any automated way to fetch all that data and create a post from it (properly formatted) that will work for every type of book format, especially ones that require reading a bit of the book first to get the info.

It's not a matter of importing the original data and it's done...if it were, it would be easy and I'd be finished with it already.

Being honest about it, this would be best done by a group of people that knew what they were looking at, and could handle writing good descriptions. I asked for volunteers to help, but everyone that offered quit on me, most after making their first post.

I have found myself pushing a number of books to the bottom of my todo list because they don't have descriptions that make any sense to a normal person and the subject matter is too over my head to be able to easily write one myself (books on Ada, for example).

On a good day, I can do about 2-3 books per hour.

Actually, donating $1 to someone on this site who deserves it is not enough of a punishment...

I could imagine that it's like "hmm, if i am lazy today then some worthy person gets a dollar" - maybe too easy to make procrastinating positive.

As far as the donating $1 being not enough of a punishment, the funds are limited, they will run out fast if I do too much procrastinating. (And there is the other part of the punishment, publicly showing off my laziness, added to it).

Psychologists will tell you that rewards work better than punishments. Every time you fail and have to pay a dollar you're reinforcing negative feelings. It would be better to put a dollar aside every time you post and spend the money on something nice when you've achieved a certain milestone.

There is also a positive reinforcement factor if I do make the posts...increase in the amount I get from Adsense, which will be more if I make the posts.

My goal is to have enough to get my first Adsense check before I have to pay for the hosting of the site. I am hoping to be able to pay for it without reaching into my pocket this year, using the ebooks site to cover the costs of the book site itself, my sites, and the free hosting I provide for a few worthwhile educational projects (all on a single account).

So I have plenty of positive incentives to do this, above & beyond the project itself being worthwhile. And so far the positive ones haven't worked as a good motivating factor to push me to really get going & finishing it.