ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is the new Zune upgrade really an upgrade?

<< < (2/5) > >>

icekin:
Still can't play flac and ape. Looks like the best option for those folks is still to get iPod or Gigabeat and install Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/).

Lashiec:
Not now. iPod is locked to iTunes, and there's only an ugly hack to unlock it. Plus, Rockbox does not work on the new models.

Dirhael:
Still can't play flac and ape. Looks like the best option for those folks is still to get iPod or Gigabeat and install Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/).
-icekin (November 15, 2007, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll have to disagree with you there. Even if you didn't void your warranty by flashing your device with a custom firmware, I would recommend anyone who would like those formats to buy a device that already does it natively. My reasoning for this is simple; If people keep purchasing these devices with very limited format support (iPods, Zune's etc.) and flash them with 3rd party firmwares to use unsupported codecs, it doesn't give the companies any incentive to add support for these formats in future versions of their devices. After all, the only language they understand is money and when people keep giving them just that, why would they do anything differently in the future?

One company that offers such devices is Cowon. They have devices which does both FLAC, APE & OGG in addition to the usual MP3, AAC, & WMA codecs, and this is what I want to see from the big players in the market as well...

icekin:
I didn't know about Cowon, they don't seem to advertise much. Thanks for the information; I will be looking into their products now.

icekin:
Eh, the Cowon is only 8GB at best, which sells for $ 219. IPod is available in 60 GB models, even the older ones. When using flac, more space is needed to carry the same number of songs. I think that the only way I can be convinced to buy a cowon is if they make 60 GB models. 8GB is far too less for flacs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version