ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to open a 700MB picture?

(1/4) > >>

icekin:
This was an image taken by the Hubble telescope.

Link to Actual Image (WARNING Large Download ~ 706MB) - http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/original/heic0710a.tif

Link to Reduced Image (~ 6MB) - http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/publicationjpg/heic0710a.jpg

I am curious to know if Windows Picture and Fax viewer can actually open this. How long would it take? Which program opens large image files quickly?

f0dder:
Oh boy, that's huge! :O

The largest I've seen was... I think it was a satellite image of earth, pretty huge jpeg image (70 megs or so?).

It isn't necessarily too bad opening a 700meg TIF file, since they're usually uncompressed (which makes it easier to read only parts of it). I'm going to grab it and see how ACDsee32 handles it - bless the server for being able to deliver >2mbyte/sec to me :)

EDIT: took 5½ minute to grab the file, and after waiting 5 minutes for acdsee32 2.4 to open it, I killed the process... it had one of my cores maxed out for the entire 5 minutes, but only used ~5 megabytes of memory, so something tells me it's simply not able to deal with TIF files that huge.

Paint Shop Pro 8 gives me this message:
Not enough memory to complete this operation; close one or more documents or applications and try again.  If this does not correct the problem, you may need to adjust your memory settings or work on a smaller document.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps because I run my system without paging file, and only have 2 gigs of memory :)

tomos:
I couldnt resist that myself :)

* exif-pro: not enough memory warning
* Windows fax etc Viewer: opened "Preview" couldnt show it full size
* Photoshop5.5 opened it but at reduced resolution - with no error warning or anything :huh:
* gimp2.2 opened it (took a while though) I could zoom in & move around it *very* slowly
gimp using 1.1GB memory, not that much CPU but too sloooow.
also I *think* it's a compressed tif -
Photoshop was saying almost 1GB size when opened (that was maybe with reduced resolution?),
Gimp was saying "2.5GB Background" not familiar with gimp so not sure if that meant file size..

icekin:
Heh, good thing I didn't try to open that file on my machine. At 512 MB RAM, Irfanview or Picasa would not be able to do much. And my other computer has 256MB RAM with a 500 Mhz processor and Debian, don't think it can handle it either.

tomos:
you're not missing that much -
just more dots on the bigger one :)
I even think the smaller one looks better - has more contrast...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version