topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: top 10 freeware apps from "snakeoillabs"  (Read 33358 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: top 10 freeware apps from "snakeoillabs"
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2005, 11:09 AM »
As for IrfenView and XnView, which one is "better" in y'all's opinion? I'd hate to have some images default to open with one and the rest open with the other.

I have tried both and have decided I quite like XnView, but I really like FastStone Image Viewer. IrfanView is something I used for a long time and it is great - even so it pretty quirky even when you use it regularly.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Hey, Carol: Thanks for the heads up on FastStone - that's great!  At last I've found a replacement for Picasa, which crashes my machine (I think due to a way it uses memory, and the way my memory is set up).  I have used xnView for awhile now, but never really been very excited about it - but FastStone seems reaslly good.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 11:30 AM »
xnview has been annoying me recently when it comes to recentering its dialog and handling multimonitor, something with irfanview always handled perfectly... i'm considering switching back from xnview to irfanview.  maybe ill check out fastone.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I miss AutoHotkey and Miranda on that TOP 10 list! Really! :)

xnview has been annoying me recently when it comes to recentering its dialog and handling multimonitor, something with irfanview always handled perfectly... i'm considering switching back from xnview to irfanview.  maybe ill check out fastone.
Yes, please, take a look at the free FastStone Image Viewer (FIV) here: http://fileforum.bet.../detail/1106292852/1 It has LOTS of great options, including easy image editing. WOW! ... just install it and move the mouse cursor to all 4 desktop borders in fullscreen mode!  :Thmbsup: :)

I like FIV better than xnview and irfanview and ACDSee, which I all used myself.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Actually I think kfitting was the first to mention FastStone on here - so thanks should really be pointed in that direction.

By the way the best download site for it is www.faststonesoft.com.

The other stuff on there is also worth checking out ...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:33 PM by CarolHaynes »