So far I really like the list! I'm going to give several of the programs listed a try (need to get rid of slow stupid adobe acrobat retardedness).
I find it interesting that the author of the article put VLC Player
at #5 partly because it doesn't need codecs, then has the K-Lite Codec Pack
as #6. I do like the fact that he specificly mentions BSPlayer in #6 though, so that makes up for it.
CoolMon and Konfabulator are actually NOT similar, I was wrong[/edit]
Man, I gotta try this Total Commander thing! It seems like I'm in Windows Explorer half the time
I'm at my comp (which is half the time
of my life practically). Win + E is so natural for me I hit it a few times last night when I ment to hit Ctrl + Z...
WOW! I'm glad to see the mass renamers being discussed. I'm using "Rename-It
" right now, which does work, but is a little unpollished. I'm going to check out Bulk Rename Utility and 1-4a though. Thanks for the tips!
As for IrfenView and XnView, which one is "better" in y'all's opinion? I'd hate to have some images default to open with one and the rest open with the other.
3) CCleaner (this has become one of my all-time fave apps)
Hmmm... What's CCleaner..? Crap-Cleaner?! LOL (actually)
Sounds like my kind of program! Thanks m_s!
As for my list, it'll be my fav apps that don't need to be installed (say, after a format). I love not having to reinstall stuff!!
- 1. Beyond Compare (I'm pretty sure this one will keep working after a format) - if you deal wit' new & old files a lot, this is a must have. If you're a member of donationcoder and you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and read this.
- 2. BSPlayer - it be good video player
- 3. Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME - perfect CD ripping with very good (and compatible) music encoding (without reinstalling)!
- 4. mIRC - I *still* haven't tried the competition, but most people agree it's the best IRC client
- 5. mp3Trim Pro - nice to have around if you ever need to chop an mp3 or 2
- 6. Pocomail 3 - it's cool to have your e-mail client live through a format (and be ready to use as soon as you have an internet connection), I wonder if "The Bat" needs to be reinstalled...? They've released v 4, but I haven't tried it as I can't afford it, even with their pathetic upgrade discount.
- 25. Rename-It - renamer app (this one may not have much longer on my comp)... It's got a context menu link that may be hard to get back after a format though.
- 8. The GodFather - it be good audio managing app
- 9. Winamp - it's good, if you don't already use it you probably either use one of the "I take over your system" apps like iTunes/Quicktime, RealOne, or WMP or you use foobar2000 (which I just can't get into)
- 10. WinRAR - How great that it doesn't need to be reinstalled? That way, you can unzip all the drivers and whatnot right away. Just go to the options to restore the context menu settings to get full functionality. (ALZip may take this slot, since it seems to work and doesn't cost money, I wonder if it'll survive my next format.)