ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The best RSS reader?

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
I must have tried them all at one time or another. But (for now at least) I've given up on stand-alone readers. Between the licensing games, features I didn't want, and miscellaneous interface oddities I finally settled on doing all my feed reading in Firefix using the Sage extension. For anything I want to save for later perusal I use ReadItLater which is synced to my PCs so I can get to my stuff from anywhere. I'll also download and archive the 'keepers' using Canaware Netnotes.

Since I'm usually working on a backlog of about 100+ articles, I'm never short on something to read -  even if I can't get a web connection.  ;D

I'd love it if could find an all-in-one app to replace what I'm currently using however.

So i'm looking forward to seeing what other folks are using and like.

Tuxman:
For "reading stuff later" I use RSSOwl's "mark as unread" functionality and some Evernote stuff. Good old UNIX philosophy: One tool, one purpose.  :D

(A backlog of ~ 100+ articles can also be handled with RSSOwl BTW. Even in offline mode.)

joiwind:
+++++ 1 RSSOwl for me too.

It may take up some resources, but after having compared it with 'most' of the other readers, I consider it to be the best and most suited to my needs.
The filters are very powerful and if used in conjunction with 'news bins' then you can really sort things out and read through your important news.
I usually keep alternatives of many of my apps (e.g. Opera as an alternative to K-Meleon) but here I've kept only RSSOwl and un-installed all the other RSS readers except for Desktop Ticker from Mike Batt.

timns:
and un-installed all the other RSS readers except for Desktop Ticker from Mike Batt.
-joiwind (March 16, 2011, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know he's still active. I remember his song "Remember You're a Womble" very fondly  :Thmbsup:

joiwind:
and un-installed all the other RSS readers except for Desktop Ticker from Mike Batt.
-joiwind (March 16, 2011, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know he's still active. I remember his song "Remember You're a Womble" very fondly  :Thmbsup:
-timns (March 16, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well I don't remember that - maybe I wasn't in the UK at that time - but he is active and the Ticker is regularly updated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version