ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

New Feature: Process Time Watcher and Killer.

(1/3) > >>

cyberglobe:
Hello,

I would like to first commend on the excellent program you have here however I still get some ptgui errors.

I have noticed a really important feature that is missing for this program which should be incorporated into Process Tamer.
How about a timeout period for a specific program name to not allow it run more than X amount of minutes.

Example:
I have a virus scan that runs via command line and should terminate within 120 seconds.  The program that spawns this virus scan can not properly terminate the program and leaves it hanging running at full tilt.  I would like to be able to select the program name and set a max CPU time per instance.  Now if it sees that one of the instances is running over the set X amount of seconds/Minutes/hours/days eg: 120 seconds of CPU time, then I would have process tamer kill the instance of the program. 

I hope something like this can be added.

Thanks.

Hasi:
What do you think aubout http://www.quickmacros.com/features.html ?
Here You can select even CPU wait time or all other things to handle schedules and programs! ;)

cyberglobe:
Nope that does not help me out since it happens on multiple instances.
This is where Process Tamer would need to manage it.  By querying the process CPU usage time.

mouser:
this is definitely one of the kinds of things PT could be made to do easily when i add a scripting feature.

tranglos:
Here's another idea. I've been testing various backup programs recently, and now am looking at a couple of AV offerings. One of the things I'm concerned about is resource usage - memory and CPU.

It is easy enough to check current RAM and CPU usage, but I would love to be able to see a history of RAM and CPU usage for a specific process over several hours, say. This is because if there are any spikes in CPU usage by a process, I am unlikely to catch them as they happen, and sitting in front of the Task Manager for hours with a pencil in hand is a job for software, not humans.

Is it something you would consider implementing, mouser, or do you know of another program that can do this? I don't need any fancy graphs, just numeric values, measured say every second, that I could view and save. What do you say?

Thanks!
marek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version