ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buy a new harddrive, get a virus

<< < (2/3) > >>

lanux128:
i remember one time when i returned a defective hard-disk to be replaced by a "brand-new" one which contained accounts reports generated by a SAP program.. :o

Laughing Man:
Don't you have to format these drives before using them? How do they keep the virus?
-Deozaan (November 13, 2007, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I recall, you just plug them in and they're usually preformatted to NTFS. Though I usually format them before using them. Plus the drive doesn't always work.. like the externals, I had to reformat it before it would work properly.

Ehtyar:
Maybe this explains where all that missing space actually goes....  ;)

Ehtyar.

Ralf Maximus:
TOP TEN EXPLANATIONS WHY YOUR NEW HARDDRIVE CAME WITH A VIRUS

10. You say virus, we say "free marketing".

9. Manufacturer ran out of free promotional trialware and grabbed the first thing they had laying around.

8. "Welcome to our new disk installation & formatting wizard."

7. We forgot to set the "bad sector" flag for the boot sector.

6. We've always shipped viruses on our products, but this is the first time a working drive actually made it into the hands of a customer.

5. It's part of our new SmartDataReorganizer[tm] feature.

4. It's a communist plot.  No really, the chinese intelligence services stick these things on products intended for western use and the data's sucked up and phoned home and-- no really, the article even mentions this!  Where are you going...?

3. It's not a virus -- it's the world's smallest Linux distribution.

2. To optimize drive performance, the virus actually eats every 3rd byte before it's written to disk.

1. Clean-room technician forgot to wash his hands.

f0dder:
i remember one time when i returned a defective hard-disk to be replaced by a "brand-new" one which contained accounts reports generated by a SAP program.. :o
-lanux128 (November 13, 2007, 12:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, I've never seen a harddrive company that says you get a brand new drive, the ones I've dealt with has "refurbished" written in the fine print. But it does suck.

Infected disks & peripherals is nothing new anyway, it's happened a number of times. Yet another reason to turn off sucky autorun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version