TOP TEN EXPLANATIONS WHY YOUR NEW HARDDRIVE CAME WITH A VIRUS
10. You say virus, we say "free marketing".
9. Manufacturer ran out of free promotional trialware and grabbed the first thing they had laying around.
8. "Welcome to our new disk installation & formatting wizard."
7. We forgot to set the "bad sector" flag for the boot sector.
6. We've always shipped viruses on our products, but this is the first time a working drive actually made it into the hands of a customer.
5. It's part of our new SmartDataReorganizer[tm] feature.
4. It's a communist plot. No really, the chinese intelligence services stick these things on products intended for western use and the data's sucked up and phoned home and-- no really, the article even mentions this! Where are you going...?
3. It's not a virus -- it's the world's smallest Linux distribution.
2. To optimize drive performance, the virus actually eats every 3rd byte before it's written to disk.
1. Clean-room technician forgot to wash his hands.