topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anybody know of a deal on PerfectDisk?  (Read 6129 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anybody know of a deal on PerfectDisk?
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:49 AM »
Subject line says it all!  Would be much obliged...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anybody know of a deal on PerfectDisk?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 11:17 AM »
I use Diskeeper Pro 9 and am very happy with it... However, before purchasing, I did trial PerfectDisk and as a result of registering the trial I receive fairly frequent offers to purchase PerfectDisk at a discount (they now go directly into my junk mail folder and are deleted so I don't know what the current offer is...). They also offer anywhere from 20 to 35% discounts for people cross-upgrading from registered versions of their competitors' products (particularly Diskeeper).

If you've registered the trial, someone in sales will likely be in touch with you with an offer to purchase at a discount. If having a fully registered version isn't urgent, I'd wait for a few weeks and see what happens.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Will do!  Thanks, Darwin.  (Why don't you unsubscribe?  I thought it was illegal for them to keep sending you things after you'd explicitly asked them to stop.  Or am I hopelessly naive?)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:27 PM »
Attempt two ... (I accidentally closed my browser before posting  :-\)

I have used both of these defrag utilities and swapped back and forth between versions but I have now fallen down on the PD side of the argument.

If you want to know why ...

DiskKeeper:

Pros:
  • More flexible interface, with more options
  • Better scheduling, esp. screensave defrag
  • Defrag speed better

Cons:
  • Defrag fast at cost of quality ... files end up all over the disc, no organise option
  • Inflexible in how defragmentation takes place
  • Free space left fragmented (has effect on fuller discs) even with maximise free space option selected (I could never get this option to do anything)
  • Offline defrag not always complete

Perfect Disk

Pros
  • Options to defrag at file level or organise disk
  • Defrag more complete
  • Offline defrag quick and complete
  • Keeps up disk access speeds because of organisation
  • Organise mode slows down future fragmentation because files that aren't modified are blocked together and don't need to keep on being moved, it also speeds up future disk organisation
  • Free space is defragmented (except in relation to MetaData)

Cons
  • Organise mode is slower
  • Few options in the interface
  • Slightly lacking in the scheduling department (I like DK's screen saver mode)

Both do a pretty good job. DK tech support say that "organising" the disc has no effect on performance of the disk. I beg to differ I found my system slowing down over time as files became separated all over the disc. OK they weren't fragmented but there was absolutely no organisation!  After using 'organise' mode in Perfect Disk my system sped up considerably. It makes sense to me to have all the unchanging files blocked (they won't get fragmented in future) and all the regularly changing files blocked at the top of the disk where they can be defragmented and accessed more quickly. Offline defragmentation (system files/folders/page file/hibernation file etc) seems much quicker amd more predictable in Perfect Disk (DK often seemed unable to defrag some files, even offline).

As for offers on Perfect Disk? Amazon.com are selling it with 14% discount. http://www.amazon.co.../detail/-/B0006DNZBC
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 12:33 PM by CarolHaynes »