ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Dvorak Zine - fun comic telling story of the Dvorak keyboard

<< < (3/5) > >>

wr975:

The comic is fun. ;D Is it supposed to be a parody of a Chick Comic, or do they really want to  convert people using Dvorak?

I'm no friend of Dvorak, just like I'm no friend of trackball or betamax. Taken from a German study for ergonomic typing: There's no proof you type faster/more accurate using Dvorak. Numerous studies (DVORAK, 1943; BAST, 1958; BROWN et al., 1966; KLEMMER, 1971; MARTIN, 1972; ALDEN et al., 1972; KINKEAD, 1976; GAKIR, 1980) came up with minor or no difference in typing speed.

Also, Dvorak is optimized for English language. To overcome the illness of QWERTY in other languages, the keys need to be rearranged. It would be better to use a different keyboard layout, like Meier or Marsan, which is optimized for English/Spanish/German/French.

Anyway, too complicated... I stick with QUERTY/Z on an ergonomic keyboard.  ;) In some years we'll all use computers the way Johnny Mnemonic did and won't need keyboards anymore.  :D  :D

jgpaiva:
This post was written in dvorak! although it is fun and it is true that it causes less strain in the fingers, it breaks almost every shortcut my computer has!
Also, its interesting as the "unlock computer" dialog doesnt respect the current kepboard setting.

[international US mode]
Actually, this gave me some ideas.. I think i'll start using international US keyboard, before my hands die on me.

Still, it was a good experiment. If i worked in the typing business, i'd definitelly use dvorak, but the fact that it breaks all known shortcuts is a no-go.

tomos:
There's no proof you type faster/more accurate using Dvorak.-wr975 (November 12, 2007, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think the main idea is it's easier on your hands..

In some years we'll all use computers the way Johnny Mnemonic did and won't need keyboards anymore.-wr975 (November 12, 2007, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

soon as i saw it i thought of Neuromancer by the same author which i read in late eighties (hadnt read the Johnny Mnemonic one or seen the film..) - the internet has never lived up to it!

tomos:
it breaks almost every shortcut my computer has!-jgpaiva (November 12, 2007, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

using english software on a german keyboard:
Z and Y are interchanged. Now that's a pain where you cant change shortcuts :huh:
When I've time I plan to check out the Colemak one more -
they have international versions as well

EDIT: no they dont:
Will there be versions of Colemak optimized for other languages?

I won't have time in the near future to work on that.http://colemak.com/FAQ

JennyB:

notice anything odd?
No CAPS LOCK 8) not sure why.. but they talk about it here:
http://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=34
-tomos (November 12, 2007, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using Dvorak so I don't want to change layout again, but I'm almost convinced about making Caps Lock a backspace. Is it possible to do that without affecting the rest of the keyboard?

The main problem I have with Dvorak, apart from broken shortcuts, is mixing up ' and , .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version