ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sync/mirror program that monitors but waits for go-ahead before backing up?

(1/3) > >>

suleika:
I currently use SyncbackSE, but when I am travelling with my laptop I only need to backup a few files/folders a day, to USB-stick or via FTP.  But how to keep track of which files?

I need a program which monitors changes and which will then let me review the list of changes before going ahead with the backup.  I wouldn't be able to make use of a mirroring program which syncs automatically, since I don't have a large enough external drive permanently attached.  But with my current set-up, the one-off reading and comparing of lots of very large folders takes a lot of time. 

So is there a program out there that will do the monitoring, and will prepare the backup, but which will then give me a choice of which files/folders to backup only when I am ready?

mouser:
this is a terrific idea as i understand it.

something in between a program that automatically monitors and creates copies of changed files vs. a program that only checks and makes backups when run manually.

so it would always be monitoring.. and maybe show an icon when you could quickly bring it up and say "go" when you want, with easy ability to quickly mark files as not to be backed up, etc.

mouser:
barring such a program, you might be able to condigure a manually run sync/incremental backup tool using a shortcut to do almost the same thing.

suleika:
something in between a program that automatically monitors and creates copies of changed files vs. a program that only checks and makes backups when run manually.

so it would always be monitoring.. and maybe show an icon when you could quickly bring it up and say "go" when you want, with easy ability to quickly mark files as not to be backed up, etc.
-mouser (November 10, 2007, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is pretty much what I was imagining.  Now if I can just find such a program...

barring such a program, you might be able to condigure a manually run sync/incremental backup tool using a shortcut to do almost the same thing.
-mouser (November 10, 2007, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  Is there a particular tool you had in mind, that I could take a look at?

jack99999:
what about FileHamster? you set it to monitor folders and it copies all changed files to it's backup folders. you could then just do an ordinary sync of the FileHamster backup folders with your external disk. since the FileHamster folders would contain only the changed files, it would be quick.

i dunno what you'd do about deletions...

http://www.mogware.com/FileHamster/

or, somewhere, i've seen a directory comparison program that will compare against a list. you could probably use such a thing to compare against a file list and then back up the changed items to your external disk.

jack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version