ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Implementing VoIP to a simple program...

(1/2) > >>

Codebyte:
Alright, so here is what I need to do:

I moved off to college and want to program a piece of software (nothing big), that will be able to take advantage of VoIP so I can talk to my parents at home. I am familiar with Delphi/C++ but would be willing to learn something new.

Is there a component/plugin I could buy for my IDE (Borland Developer Studio 2006/2007) that allows VoIP? If so, is it cheap and efficient? If not, could I program my own component to do the job? I don't even know where to start, but I do know that I want to make this software work.

Thanks for your time,
-CodeByer

mouser:
There are some voip components for delphi/bcb and activex, but i don't have any experience with them:

http://www.vclcomponents.com/catalog/Delphi_Voip
http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=207

I'd think hard about coding your own vs using an existing free tool, unless you really want to learn how to make such programs.

Codebyte:
I was looking into developing this application to get a preview of how it works. I wouldn't mind using a tool if I can implement it the same way I would a component, but I would like to develop my own with the help of a 3rd party component/tool.

f0dder:
I think you'd be better off looking for a freeware VOIP programs, or sucking it down and using skype... VOIP isn't a trivial thing to program if you want it to be more than a toy to be used on a LAN.

Codebyte:
Here is the Problem:
-If I was using a LAN, then it would be fine. I need to develop an application P2P or not to allow my father and I to talk using UDP (for lower latency and such.)
-I have researched multiple things concerning the VoIP capabilities and while using a component sounds best, I would like to implement this coding into an application of my own so that when I work on my 2D video game project, I will understand how to write the coding for the VoIP option I am looking to implement.
-I have looked into several different ways on how to do this but they all seem a bit over my head at the moment. Being in college, I have all the time in the world to learn things... Even if it means learning a new language...
-Most importantly, I have the ability to setup a protected server with a static IP address to host the server application that will be used to run this VoIP project.
-It doesn't need to be complex, it just needs to be able to hold a connection and transmit packets with the ability to skip a few here and there.

I know I need to use a Sound Codec, like Speex, and some network packet buffering code, but I need a little bit more to bite on. If someone would be willing to learn/help me with the project, that would be cool! It's something i've been looking to learn for a couple years now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version