ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is there a way to clean all windows drivers to allow for a change of motherboard

<< < (3/3)

iphigenie:
i guess, but the new hardware feels sluggish compared to the old hardware. I know the old hardware had a top notch motherboard but everything else is either the same or quite a bit better so I suspect something's not quite optimal. More playing around!

I might try repair, it might clear and reselect all the drivers.

iphigenie:
mostly the disk access feels sluggish (noticeable even when opening start menu submenus for the first time after a boot) and it feels a tad laggy/jerked in WoW.

On the other hand reinstalling the accounts package is something I worry about doing - i havent used it long enough to be sure
- it will just reinstall happily and not do some weird license grumbling
- i have backed up everything I need to make sure i have all the data etc
So i will meddle around some more

Carol Haynes:
How about on the new system just go to the device manager and uninstall all drivers (only reboot after you have uninstalled all of them) and then restart and install the new driver set for the new setup? Don't install the HAL driver though (the one listed in Device Manager as 'Computer') as that can cause data corruption - there is a microsoft KB article on how to update the HAL driver correctly. (Sorry haven't time to find it at the moment as the only one I could find referred to Windows 2000).

iphigenie:
AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH

Microsoft tells me I have exceeded my number of activations on this license. Not sure how that could be since it is only used on this machine and I hadnt had to reinstall in 18 months (thanks to images) but I am most annoyed

I have 3 xp pro licenses, one xp mce, 2 licenses of windows 2000, i habe always paid for the right number of licenses...

and now
- my windows mce license said "exceeded" to me the other day (and the only reason i have had to reinstall this one so often is that windows mce was so broken originally it needed 5 tries to install
- and now this pc, which is my oldest but is also the first time i upgrade it

very very annoying and i am certainly not paying again!!!

Update: phew, worked over the phone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version