topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Comics? He's got comics!  (Read 5162 times)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Comics? He's got comics!
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:58 AM »
Kent Dolan is one serious webcomics reader.  This page has links to all 1,700 odd in his bookmark collection.  :o

Purpose: Comics are read more easily and with less overhead for both reader and publishing site if they are accessed roughly as often as they are updated. Comics that have limitations on how far back you can go in the archives need special priority, too. This list attempts to give the comic reader access to a list of comics I read, and the frequency at which I access them, which is only implied to be approximately their update frequency. There are only a handful of exceptions to the maxim "web comic authors frequently miss updates". No comment as to the quality of the comics or the comics' suitability for all readers is intended by their being included here, I have strange tastes, and some of these comics frankly stink, while others are quite ribald.

Disclaimer: Pretty much every link icon here without exception is image manipulated by me from an original work created by someone else, either a link designed by the comic author that didn't quite fit my layout, or a recognizable image ripped bleeding by me from the comic site, either case of which is still copyright by the respective owners of the respective original comic sites despite my best efforts to make their work an absolutely unrecognizable muddle. Everyone, at least once, needs to read Matthew Skala's famous article "What color are my bits?" about the difference between the math of digital media and the law of digital media to decide for themselves just how they want to treat copyrights on bits. Whatever part of what I created in munging these logos is somehow "mine" you are quite free to take for personal use (see below).

Usage: Trying to read web comics directly from this page won't work very well; I doubt my ISP is set up to handle the traffic, and there's no need you suffering the delays of going via this site to get to comics elsewhere. Instead, every (very spread out) so often, do your browser's equivalent of "download full web page", to put the page and all the link icons onto your local hardware, and read comics from that. I find that it works very well to use a tabbed browser, and to open half a dozen comics one by one into new tabs, then read them in the order they finish arriving. This puts lots of the download delays in parallel with your reading. Then just close each tab as you finish reading the comic, and when you've read all you had opened, go do some more.

Warning: I'm retired, and still cannot really read all these comics as fast as they are updated, I just cherry pick whatever suits my mood. It would be soul and life destroying for a person in less idle circumstances to try to read all of these comics. Use a bit of sense in how much you try to do, so that your real life remains real for you.

Enjoy in moderation!  8)
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comics? He's got comics!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Wow  :o that's a huge list! and so very web1.0-like too  ;)

bliss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • la la la-la
    • View Profile
    • bLisTeRinG soft
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comics? He's got comics!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:38 PM »
You're a 21st Century HERO! I'm going to read them all. lol.
Am we there yet?