topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fedora 8 hits the streets!  (Read 7302 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fedora 8 hits the streets!
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:15 AM »
Fedora 8 is the kind of GNU/Linux version that makes you want to stop distro hopping and settle. With a new visual style, artwork, and several new features, this version was designed around expanding Web 2.0 on the desktop.

fedora8-screen01.jpg   fedora_8_cd.png

One of the most impressive new features included in Fedora 8 is the PulseAudio sound daemon, which will allow users to set the volume for each application individually, move streams between devices, redirect audio streams to other computers on the local network, and much more. Pulse Audio alleviates the headaches of various sound systems fighting for access to the sound device (finally!!!) and implements many exciting new features to bring the Linux sound system out of the stone age. With a new visual style called Nodoka that mixes beige and bright blue, it has light gradients, subdued scrollbars, and gradients on inactive tabs.

fedora8-screen02.jpg

Fedora 8 includes an optional color-changing wallpaper, which will rotate through shades depending on the time of day. Doesn't sound like a big deal unless you live in the US, but work on German time. By noticing the color of the screen, you can know what time of day it is. Here's the full feature list. If for no other reason, a good Linux distro like Fedora comes with more "out of the box" software than any other OS. With the USDollar at all-time record tanking levels, I could save some dough.

fedora8-screen03.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:16 AM by zridling »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fedora 8 hits the streets!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 03:37 AM »
EhEh.. I wouldn't mind having my windows wallpaper changing colours with the time of the day!
I wonder if there's something out there that'll acomplish this.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:56 AM »
I would like to know how they accomplished this. Is dynamically generated or does Fedora brings along a set of predefined wallpapers with the different shadings?

And PulseAudio sounds good ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 03:25 PM »
One of the most impressive new features included in Fedora 8 is the PulseAudio sound daemon, which will allow users to set the volume for each application individually...

That's something I really liked about Vista. Sorry for the sacrilege of mentioning Windows in a linux thread.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:32 PM »
You mean linux had to copy a feature from windows? *GASP*

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 04:09 PM »
Yep, we're all sharks.
If it's a good feature, take it and run... :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Linux distro catching up to Windows (they still have a ways to go on several fronts)! Lashiec, you got it — it's actually a theme composed of several different similar wallpapers, like a super-slow animated gif, and monitored through your UTC time setting.