ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Rename does not select file extension

(1/2) > >>

Suggs:
I have Windows XP and like to have extensions showing in Windows Explorer.

The trouble is, when I rename a file the selection defaults to the complete filename including the extension.  Almost always, I forget to type the extension when I rename, I get the error message about the extension having changed and all the text I've just typed in the name has gone.

Is there a way of forcing rename to select everything but the extension?  Apparently, it's the default in Vista.

justice:
Yeah I really miss this in XP.
I used QTTabbar and i think it did something like this as on my desktop suddenly when i renamed an image it didn't select the extension. However I no lnoger use QTTabbar and I would love to see this too.

Surely some small utility that does this must exist.

yksyks:
If you are not going to switch to some alternative file manager, QTTabBar indeed does the trick in Windows Explorer--when renaming, it selects just the filename:

Recommended for other features, too.

justice:
Looking for this led me to looking for a nice file manager, and UltraExplorer renames properly too.

Still no perfect solution though, I had trouble with QTTabBar it blocked my windows-e shortcut and it doesn't work consistently for all files under any circumstance (in my case)

yksyks:
I had the same problem with Win-E shortcut and also blamed QTTabBar, but it appeared that the culprit was the recent video driver suite (Catalyst by ATI). After painful uninstall/reinstall procedure of Catalyst everything works again, including QTTabBar. It's necessary to reboot after its installation, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version