ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maybe Vista doesn't suck?

<< < (11/21) > >>

Darwin:
fodder - in my (limited) experience, disabling the Aero GUI and the themes service and running Vista in classic mode does little to help the resource issue that you are referring to. Granted I gave up before tweaking the GUI beyond that (ie hadn't gone into the relevant diaologue to turn off the rest of the non-essential eye candy like animated wnidows and fading tooltips in and out, etc. but still... Found it to be unbearably slow given the notebook that it was running on (Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM and 128 MB dedicated video memory).

Ralf Maximus:
Carol, I've brought this point up time and time again. WHAT DRM CRAP? The only DRM I've seen is for HD Content and playback over a video card which requires HDCP support. Other than that, I've not seen any DRM problems in vista.
-Josh (November 21, 2007, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe the term "DRM crap" covers the entire Vista infrastructure that's constantly prowling for violations.  Even if you never stick a copyrighted work in your DVD drive, it's got to run the gauntlet of checks and verifications imposed by the o/s.

THAT sucks.  THAT's crap.  It's a drag on resources, and assumes that all Vista customers are crooks even if you don't own any DVD movies.  It's a penalty all must bear because Microsoft wanted to make the entertainment industry happy.

So even if Vista works for you and works well, you're paying a price in wasted cpu cycles and bloated code for a "feature" you may never have used.

Carol Haynes:
Yes but its all built into the Kernel along with all the other stuff that has been overlaid and is so annoying and resource hungry - OK perhaps its bad example and a cheap shot but I'll bet Windows 7 is even heavier on resources and more restrictive to end users. What about the restriction that if you change your memory or CPU you will probably have to buy a new copy 'cos they won't let you activate Vista on a second hardware system!

Carol Haynes:
Ah Carol, ever the optimist.  :-)
-Ralf Maximus (November 21, 2007, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually 5 years late is probably optimistic if Vista is anything to go by. Who can remember all the whizzo stuff promised for Longhorn? How much of it has actually appeared in Vista?

Ralf Maximus:
Ah Carol, ever the optimist.  :-)
-Ralf Maximus (November 21, 2007, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually 5 years late is probably optimistic if Vista is anything to go by. Who can remember all the whizzo stuff promised for Longhorn? How much of it has actually appeared in Vista?
-Carol Haynes (November 21, 2007, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's ironic, but despite the smiley I never meant that to be ironic.  I think 5+ years is about right for the next version of Windows, assuming they attack the project with the same Army of Programmers methodology they used for Vista.

On the other hand, maybe they've had a wee bit of fear struck into their scaley, cold hearts.  Maybe there have been some "oh, shit!" meetings in Redmond and now they realize they have to do something, anything, to regain the fear of their customers... and not just the loathing.

So mmmmaybe (Ralf rummages around in his colon, *pop*) Windows 7 comes out in late 2009.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version