ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maybe Vista doesn't suck?

(1/21) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
I'm still not a convert, but this short article goes a long way towards explaining what I miss from sticking with XP.  The speech-recognition video is especially intriguing, especially since I've experimented with XP's speech functionality and found it wanting.

Maybe it's because I don't have a cool British accent?

Dormouse:
Seems to me it is more an article about someone who hasn't installed the software to do these things on XP. The reason people most like dislike Vista is that it doesn't work well rather than not having more features than XP.

zridling:
For me (notice I emphasize that), Vista has been a poor experience in a wide variety of ways, among them driver support, DRM issues, price increases, and the continuing WGA/validation debacle. It also will eat as much hardware as you throw at it. Quad-core screams on Linux, but suddenly crawls on Vista x64. I could go on all day, but that kind of crap really makes me mad.

In the meantime, to get the bad news about Vista behind them, notice the increasing number of "Windows 7" leaks to the media over the past three weeks. Vista will join the infamous ranks of "ME" in the history of Windows OSes. Think of it this way: Vista has been so "suck-sessful" that record numbers of users are using other OS platforms, including me. Microsoft's HALO team should take over coding Win 7!

Josh:
Zaine: I've asked this every time someone raises the "problems" you mention. What problems have YOU experienced with DRM and WGA? Everytime I ask this, I never get a reply. It seems that most users get upset over problems OTHER users have claiming them as their own. DRM has never caused me a problem.

I don't think you can hold drivers against Vista. Thats a problem with developers not updating their drivers to be Vista compliance.

Lashiec:
Well, Bungie is no longer a direct part of Microsoft so... But don't worry, with Mark Russinovich on the company and the guy behind Office 2007 in charge of Windows 7 management, I think it could be really great. Everything is hinting as a complete breakup with past Windows' foundation, like Mac OS X did before, so that means they can focus on the OS, and not on backwards compatibility.

I'll answer Josh, but I think he already knows this. DRM only causes problems to early adopters who bought these "fantastic" new HD formats that are crippled with DRM. Not that is much of a problem today, as SlySoft cracked yesterday the last scheme behind Blu Ray. That is the only DRM present in Vista, necessary for HD video playback from those discs. Well, apart from WGA, and you know which kind of problems this caused, although it's true it did not cause a general problem for all users (apart from building up a hardware database with unique IDs identifying you). I think Zaine detailed his personal problems with Vista on his blog, so you know where to look ;)

The first thing you'll see there is not exactly DRMed though, but it's truly NSFW ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version