topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 10:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone know of software to remove station ident from TV recordings  (Read 5328 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I record programs from TV fairly regularly and then burn them to DVDs with ads removed, nice menu system and printed labels. One of the irritations are the station idents that are common these days. Does anyone know of any software that can automatically clean off station idents frame by frame?

The task is too laborious to do manually but it strikes me that using a photoshop healing brush type technique it could be automated.

OK it would not be perfect but it would better than a lot of the garish and intrusive logos that are used. It would also allow the removal of on screen messages about what comes next etc.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone know of software to remove station ident from TV recordings
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:24 AM »
VirtualDub with the DeLogo filter from here should do the job (here are some samples from the docs).

Bye!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Thanks - that looks interesting I will have a play with it.

My experience in the past with VirtualDub wasn't totally great - do you know off hand if the latest versions would allow for lossless processing except for the edited patch? Or does it reauthor the entire clip losing some quality?

Cheers

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56 AM »
If you alter a frame in any way, it have to be reprocessed/recompressed; and not only it, since modern lossy movie codec relying on differences from frames to frames. The only thing that can be simply "direct streamed", without any reprocessing, is the audio track.

Bye!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Thanks - yes I have been experimenting and it is quite impressive but I am finding it hard not to generate rather visible artefacts especially when there are large contrasts between frame background colours.

I'll keep trying.

Ironically the best results seem to be in very busy backgrounds - its plain colours that seem to stick out like a sore thumb.