ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Genuinely stupid laws - that still APPLY !!

<< < (4/5) > >>

hamradio:
Reminds me of the Dumb Laws site.

Deozaan:
Here is a well known law from my home state of New Jersey, that is enforced, and makes us kind of an odd-ball state:

It is against the law here to pump your own gas.
-app103 (November 07, 2007, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

NJ isn't the only state with that law. Oregon is another place where you can't pump your own gas. So weird going there, getting out of your car, then seeing some guy run up to you and ask for your credit cards. ;D

Ralf Maximus:
And weirder still, you hand them over.

So, any guess why the law still stands?  I had no idea the Full Service Service Station Lobby was so influential.  Or that the good people of NJ were accidentally immolating themselves with such frequency that a law was required.

Deozaan:
And weirder still, you hand them over.

So, any guess why the law still stands?  I had no idea the Full Service Service Station Lobby was so influential.  Or that the good people of NJ were accidentally immolating themselves with such frequency that a law was required.
-Ralf Maximus (November 07, 2007, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I live in Idaho, where we pump our own gasoline. Don't go to Oregon much, and when I do I'm not usually the driver.

As to why it's a law? BigJim gave as good a reason as I can figure:

It's a 'make work' thing for (otherwise unemployable) gas attendants.
-BigJim (November 07, 2007, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade:

It used to be that when we pulled in for gas here, in Ontario, Canada...

-cranioscopical (November 07, 2007, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know that you were a fellow Ontarionianite (or whatever the heck we're called). :D

It's FINALLY starting to get a bit colder here in Seoul, South Korea.

You'd be surprised at how much you actually miss the cold!

It's kind of funny sometimes here - I hear North Americans complaining about the cold or see them shivering. My first question is always, "So, where you from?" As you might guess, most people are from much further south than Ontario.

Anyways - I'm so totally off topic here... 

Yeah - Laws are stupid! I hate them! :D

No - Really! I mean it! Don't you think that it's just completely retarded that we need a law to tell us not to kill each other? That truly is completely insane!

But those laws were very amusing. Here's a place where you can lose a few hours laughing: http://www.dumblaws.com/ :D (Yeah - That's totally vengeance for all those people that keep posting Tower Defence stuff!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version