ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Genuinely stupid laws - that still APPLY !!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Darwin:
This had me rolling about ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm

I want to know how Indonesia enforce their law ?
-Carol Haynes (November 07, 2007, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice post, Carol. Good to have a morning chuckle (well, it's morning where I am, anyway)!

The Indonesian law is distrubing because it's the kind of statute that in the past (one REALLY hopes that it's ignored in the present) would likely have relied on accuastion - you don't like someone, just start a rumour about their hobbies...

Darwin:
Here is a well known law from my home state of New Jersey, that is enforced, and makes us kind of an odd-ball state:

It is against the law here to pump your own gas.
-app103 (November 07, 2007, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

We haven't had full-service stations where I am (BC) in years - they disappeared in the early to mid-90's. Are they still around in NJ, or is everyone there breaking this law  :o

BigJim:
No one breaks that law in NJ so far as I know. It's a 'make work' thing for (otherwise unemployable) gas attendants. They would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you tried to pump your own. A fate far more serious than dealing with local law enforcement!!

Ralf Maximus:
It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

--- End quote ---

"Senator?  Senator?  *sigh*  We'll count that as a 'Nay'."

Carol Haynes:
We still have the odd petrol station that is 'service only' - but living in the middle of nowhere if it is raining they are just as likely to stay indoors and let you get on with it. We even have one local station that doesn't take cheques or plastic - so you either pay in cash or they send you a bill at the end of the month ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version