ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Perfect Software?

<< < (10/13) > >>

tinjaw:
Personally, I think Hello World is the only program that should have ever been created.

Ralf Maximus:
Personally, I think Hello World is the only program that should have ever been created.
-tinjaw (November 09, 2007, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.  "Hello World" is just a ridiculous bloated version of the original "Hi World".

I never botherd upgrading.

f0dder:
"Hi World"? Why do something THAT bloated, when we know the correct lUNIX way is not to output anything on success?!

tinjaw:
-tinjaw (November 09, 2007, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.  "Hello World" is just a ridiculous bloated version of the original "Hi World".

I never botherd upgrading.
-Ralf Maximus (November 10, 2007, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yahya:
[...] Anyway, my point was that part of the value of an application is how well it works in the context it's used. This context changes as technology and platform progress, so what seems "just right" today is likely to be less good in a couple of years. And this isn't just because competitors have newer features, but completely on its own, it may be less usable.

Just like my old LP records: I loved them 25 years ago, and they haven't gotten any worse, but I don't listen to them anymore.
-CWuestefeld (November 09, 2007, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

What a wonderful and perfectly apposite simile!

I reject the notion that "perfection is unattainable".  Yes, many open-source developers do fear creating an actual Version 1.0.  That may be because they don't live in a commercial world that obeys the Pareto Principle, aka the 80-20 rule: The first 80% of anything takes 20% of the time; consequently and conversely, the last 20% takes 80% of the time.  In their view, an app is only perfect when it contains every feature that someone's grandma (who only really uses her PC to heat her log cabin in the Tasmanian wilderness) ever asked for.  But for the rest of us, an app, like anything else, is perfect if and only if it does just what we want.  For example Windows Media Player 10 was perfect for me; now that I've upgraded to version 11, it keeps trying to synchronise my digital camera, which is not how I use it, so that the later version is actually a downgrade.

edit by jgpaiva: fixed quote tag

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version