ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Perfect Software?

<< < (5/13) > >>

Darwin:
The world would embrace something like XP 2008, where the core product remains the same but additional drivers are included, the Aero interface is an option, and loads of cute new themes (shudder) are thrown in for fun.  Charge $99 for the upgrade and people will pay.
--- End quote ---

Agreed. This is essentially what Mac does with their OS - these new versions that roll out every 18 months or so are paid upgrades, but the price is very small. AFAIK, you simply go buy the latest version and install it. I *belieive* the price is in the $100 to $149 range. Compare this to the pricing scheme for XP and Vista! Nontroppo would know better than I (my OS-X machine is simply too old to run anything newer than OS-10.2 and is a glorified toy WRT how I use it, so I don't pay attention to the cost of OS-X!).

nosh:
Compupic stopped being developed years back and it's still my first choice of a gallery-based graphics viewer. Photodex even had a mad-fast DOS graphics viewer called Sea, wonder how many people here tried that one...

I have an OCD like a lot of others to go with the newer,bigger,faster software but whenever I've combated it and decided to stick with an older version, the decision has invariably paid off. I'm even going to try and boycott the FooBar2000 upgrades. Lets hope it doesn't go the Winamp (sucks the llama's ass) way.

I'm sure I'm not the only software fan who experiences these info-overloads either, we've all seen enough good programs go down the crapper.

Darwin:
Lets hope it doesn't go the Winamp (sucks the llama's ass) way.
--- End quote ---

I have an OCD like a lot of others to go with the newer, bigger,faster software
--- End quote ---

You and me both!

but whenever I've combated it and decided to stick with an older version, the decision has invariably paid off.
--- End quote ---

I've been trying to do this for years. Have only succeeded a couple of times. Other times I've succeeded in "holding out" for a full release or two and STILL break down and upgade. I need help...

Ralf Maximus:
I've been trying to do this for years. Have only succeeded a couple of times. Other times I've succeeded in "holding out" for a full release or two and STILL break down and upgade. I need help...

--- End quote ---

The cure for this: download the trial version of TantalizingNewUpgrade v33.5 and install it in a virtual machine.  Play with it.

I did this with the latest WinZip, saw nothing spectacular (still doesn't play MP3 files while unzipping) and was instantly released from my compulsive urge to get the damned thing. 

Curiosity can be a seductive mistress; be strong.

app103:
I have an OCD like a lot of others to go with the newer, bigger,faster software
--- End quote ---
You and me both!
but whenever I've combated it and decided to stick with an older version, the decision has invariably paid off.
--- End quote ---
-Darwin (November 08, 2007, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

The cure: Use an old 233mhz machine with 64mb ram as your only pc for the next few years.

You will start to seek out and love the small single purpose tools that have no bloat. You will lose your desire to upgrade and begin to look for things in which you can actually downgrade to the most efficient version. You will begin to really look at features offered and how you actually use the software to decide if the added features are of any real benefit to you.

Then return to your latest & greatest PC, bringing the best tools with you. You will love them and appreciate them enough to stick with them and resist the temptation to upgrade them or throw them away, unless there is a security issue that dictates that you should.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version