ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Perfect Software?

<< < (6/13) > >>

nosh:
My solution is to keep a lean and mean app and a full-featured one.

Examples:
Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro 5
Firefox & Opera
Winamp & Foobar2000

That way I don't feel like I'm cheating myself on speed or features and end up using the faster app over 90% of the time, Firefox being the obvious exception. Newer versions get tested on the main system (no virtual machines here...) but when it's time to upgrade the drive image, the last backup gets restored and only the good stuff gets on.

zridling:
If a software app does achieve perfection, it's only transient until something else changes and it becomes inadequate. The idea of perfect software for me is that which enables other software, such as AutoHotkey. In any given year, there are some fantastic apps. XYplorer File Manager, for example, had a very good 2007. But so did Opera browser and ACDSee 10. EmEditor is going to have a knockout 2008 with its version 7.

I still lament the death of Ecco Pro. Hey, and what about Wolfenstein 3-D baby!!

tomos:
I have an OCD like a lot of others to go with the newer, bigger,faster software
--- End quote ---

You and me both!-Darwin (November 08, 2007, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw Darwins post/quote first & thought newer=faster, naaa
but I see nosh has it crossed out  :up:

I have an OCD like a lot of others to go with the newer,bigger,faster software
-nosh (November 08, 2007, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
I'm still using ACDsee32 v2.4 - anything later I tried was bloated and slow... 2.4 is lightning fast and does what's necessary for a graphics viewer :)

Dirhael:
I'm even going to try and boycott the FooBar2000 upgrades. Lets hope it doesn't go the Winamp (sucks the llama's ass) way.-nosh (November 08, 2007, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wait, what? I can see how one can be worried about things like this, but in the case of foobar2000, the latest beta releases is a major and important update from a usability standpoint. It's just as fast as it ever was, but without all the "tear-your-hair-out" frustrations of having to customize it to have a useful interface. When you then also factor in things like improved/simplified tagging functionality and music file management, I fail to see why anyone would want to stay with the previous versions. The new default interface also uses a very much improved playlist which makes it both easier *and* faster to locate the music you want to play.

Of course, if you just use custom components anyway it doesn't really matter but for the first time I have no problem recommending a foobar2000 release to everyone, including those that doesn't care for anything technical and just want to play their music. This is not the release to avoid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version