ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

November Discounts and Giveaway

(1/5) > >>

cthorpe:
Just a quick note to let you know that discounts and giveaways will be posted shortly.

At this time, we have the following discounts on tap:

DefenseWall HIPS - 30% discount with quite a few licenses to give away
Gizmo reviewed this on Techsupport Alert and had good things to say:
Of the products tested DefenseWall was the outstanding performer with near perfect test results across the board. Additionally, it is small and consumed few computer resources.

It's exemplary performance could be attributed in part to the fact that this was the only sandbox based HIPS product in this series of reviews.
--- End quote ---
The review is located here: www.techsupportalert.com/security_HIPS.htm (right now his site appears to be down)

CPUIdle - 30% discount and possibly licenses to give away
This program was mentioned favorably by lanux128 here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7387.msg72537#msg72537
however in one of the threads, i noticed that there was a mention of CpuIdle to "cool" the system. i've heard of these type of software before, such as Rain, CpuCool and WinHLT but didn't think much of them. but among others, CpuIdle claims to "enhance stability" and i was desperate enough to try it out..

and after several days of usage, i am happy to report that CpuIdle manages to tame the high cpu activity and make the system usable. the spikes in cpu usage does occur, though not as frequently as before.. and since my other alternative is to get a new motherboard, this is much welcomed.
--- End quote ---

Carl R. Thorpe
Discount Coordinator - DonationCoder.com
[email protected]

Darwin:
Ooohh... CPUIdle! I've been wanting to give that a closer look - now I've no more excuses (well, now I simply have NO excuse, never had a list, really...)  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Humm, CPUIdle used to make a difference in the win9x days, but I don't see a reason to run it on NT, which already does HLT in it's idle thread, as well as power management. (Ok, cpuidle can do tricks with certain chipsets, like turning off part of the chipset, but... ho humm).

TucknDar:
I prefer RM CLock over CPUIdle as it fixed (well, worked around is more correct) an annoying issue with my laptop, but looking at some recommendations of CPUIdle it seems it can be helpful for some.

How about Defensewall HIPS? Worth it? Or rather, is it worth the yearly upgrade fee?

Darwin:
After reading f0dder's points above, I decided to download and install cpuidle. Early days to say anything about it yet, but reading the FAQ and the description about it, a list of reasons not to bother with it began to coalesce in my mind, and looked familiar as well! Being an open-minded individual, I proceeded anyway and installed it. We'll see what happens from here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version