ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Starting a website; need suggestions.

<< < (3/6) > >>

icekin:
I'd strongly recommend Drupal as a CMS for the website. Having used it to build over a dozen sites, I am probably a bit partial, but prior to Drupal I tried everything PHP based ranging from Joomla (called Mambo back then), PHP-Nuke (security disaster), Post Nuke (impossible to follow code), Wordpress (good for blogs and that's about it) and several others (geeklog, mediawiki, plone, xoops, e107 etc.)

Drupal is by far the best in terms of speed, performance and support. User and Developer Documentation is extensive and functionality can be extended using modules. That being said, I have frequently had problems with specific modules (e.g. e-commerce and CCK). I have noticed that the drupal CMS is developed at a much faster rate than the add-on modules, which are mostly developed by different developers. As a result, you tend to have Drupal v.6 being tested in beta at the moment and ready to roll out soon, but several modules not even having reached stable status for Drupal v.5

Thus, if choosing drupal, its best to stick with an older version of drupal that has been around, tested for a while rather than jumping into the new version even though the new one has been declared stable.

As for a host, I use Dreamhost as well and I have 5 sites hosted with them on a single account for $10 a month. Never had problems yet. Their backup feature is also handy when you screw up (like I often do as I tweak too much) ;). It restores all database tables and web server files to the state they were anytime in the last 5 days. Longer backups can be scheduled as well.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
... The problem I have with CMS systems like Joomla and Drupal, for a novice's, is you end up with a very CMS looking website which IMO doesn't look too good and not unique in any way ... -Veign (November 05, 2007, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which is why I highly recommend ExpressionEngine. I've used the free Core version for a few personal sites, and the paid version ($99) for my own site. Truly awesome capabilities.
Check out their showcase.
I love how 'un-bloggy' most EE sites are! A heck of a learning curve though.

And if you, or a friend, are graphically motivated enough, try one of these services.
You supply them with a graphical layout of what your site should look like, and they code the xhtml/css. I haven't used one of them yet, but plan to for my next site revision.

For hosting, everyone seems to like DreamHost (mentioned above), I've used Site5 for many years now.

wraith808:
1. When looking for a host, realize that you pay for what you get.  In many cases what you get is a shared server, which means your service quality depends on how much stress everyone is putting on the server.  That said, I've had very good success with servage (servage.net), so would suggest a look.

2. When designing a website, first figure out why you want a website, then what you need to make that a reality.  You might find that you don't need as much as you thought.  I design custom websites also, but I do it on the side, just to build up a portfolio, so its been more important to have stable clients than to make a lot of money.  And when dealing with it from that angle, I can say that most people looking for a website don't need half of what they get when they pay for one.  If you already have a myspace presence, and like how it appears, then if you take the css from that site, apply it to a one page site, then direct them to your myspace page, that would be a good start until you have more funds.  You can also look at simple templates, or simple designers like templatemonster.com and templatetuning.com.  For simple things, their prices are pretty reasonable, and they have a wealth of templates.  There's other sites around too, but when I don't have time to find a graphic designer, I use their services and can say that they are top notch.

In any case, whatever you decide, all the best with your band.  If you need some specific advice, you can pm me and I'll be happy to help.

Veign:
If you already have a myspace presence, and like how it appears
-wraith808 (November 06, 2007, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I sure hope not.  MySpace pages are a web designer's nightmare...

Veign:
Veign can probably tell you some forums visited by competent web designers looking for work.
-tinjaw (November 05, 2007, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Try:
http://www.designcontest.net/

Basically you run your design as a contest and designers submit custom designs in an attempt to win the contest and the funds you have declared as the prize.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version