ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2007

"To-Do-Visual" or "Multi-Lists" - does this exist?!

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
I think this idea is veering towards GTD which I didn't get into last year (was more of a Mark Forster follower)

It may well exist - I mean as software.

First:
My problem with To-Do-Lists is they dont work for me - on paper or software
On paper they breed (& get lost or pile up unread...)
On screen things get lost in tree-lists, "flat" lists are too long, tagging just doesnt cut it for me - with To-Do-Lists at any rate

The idea is simply that at one glance you can see all the major "areas" of work you have to do -
this suits me at any rate cause I fill an A4/Letter page nicely with the different areas -
which is what I've been doing for a while.
It's okay but I think it might be more successful like this:

In a software version you would be able to click on each heading & get a drop down list.
Could preferably be set up so you only see what you plan to do today - a la Forster's book - Do it Tomorrow -(plan it today)
Naturally when something's marked done it goes down to the bottom of the list.
Maybe a little icon by each heading that would toggle full screen/back to "multi-list"
"Areas" can be added/removed/disabled

...........................To-Do-Visual............................PostJOB_KERRY# cc bill
# Versicherung..............
# check has P. approved xyz...............................
# do corrections to geomap.......................
PhoneJOB_Longford# Deeke
# MSV........
# P. re est# estimate..................
# change fills.......................WriteJOB_M.Survey Volume#9# Central
# M.R.F.........# what scan kaputt
# List new fig's & add to SQL-Notesetc., etc....

I've actually considered making a flat box/frame from timber -
small index cards on the left, larger on the right,
when you look down on it it's a bit like the view of the table above.
But while timber can look very nice, it isnt very flexible :)

does the software version exist?!

tomos:
does the software version exist?!-tomos (November 05, 2007, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

or if it doesnt & you code this & make millions dont forget to give me a cut  :P  :D

laughinglizard:
does the software version exist?!
--- End quote ---

From your illustration, I would think a spreadsheet would work well - something like Excel or any of the others.

This site has compiled an overview of 30+ of the software tools available to GTD users:

http://www.atpm.com/13.02/next-actions.shtml

I like Swift To Do list, after trying out some other programs its the one that I like and use.

tomos:
thanks laughinglizard
thats an interesting read, unfortunately no screenshots :(
so I dont get any sense of how they organise things
there I go with the visuals again

From your illustration, I would think a spreadsheet would work well - something like Excel or any of the others.-laughinglizard (November 05, 2007, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
I probably shouldnt have used that table!
It doesnt really express what I want...
I'm not that familiar with the complexities of spreadsheets but I dont think it can do this:
-
In a software version you would be able to click on each heading & get a drop down list.
Could preferably be set up so you only see what you plan to do today - a la Forster's book - Do it Tomorrow -(plan it today)
Naturally when something's marked done it goes down to the bottom of the list...-tomos (November 05, 2007, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

or maybe it could?!

re Swift To Do list
"Todo lists organized using hierarchical tree structure with icons" scares me off
I can see that's a necessary [evil :)] but me,
I just loose track of things in a "hierarchical tree structure" & everything go downhill from there
Thats even though I dont have a lot of different projects or things to do (just have to spend a long time doing certain things ;))

< musing to myself!> maybe I'm approaching things from the wrong end but I do think my idea could help me..

laughinglizard:
thanks laughinglizard
thats an interesting read, unfortunately no screenshots :(
so I dont get any sense of how they organise things
there I go with the visuals again
-tomos (November 05, 2007, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I would have liked to see some screenshots there too, but with overviews of 30+ programs listed, I can see why there aren't.

I'm very visual as well, so I know what you mean. I do well with Swift-To_Do-List, but that's because its so easy to use.
I'm told the mind mapping software is good for this sort of thing, but I haven't checked into it.
I just can't tackle learning a new program right now, I'm working on getting all of my stored information in one place, so I'm messing with Ultra Recall.

There's also a program called Papel - it uses a visual interface. Using the program is like using a stack of digital index cards, which are called ‘papels’. It isn't supported by the author anymore but it might be worth a look.

Description, screenshots and download here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/51395/papel_free_writing_software.html

Have you thought about a white board or a chalkboard?  :)
I like to draw and scribble on things and they are good for that.
I think they have paint that will turn any wall into a chalkboard.........but that's no software solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version