ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Technology Myths

<< < (8/10) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Okay I just thought of a superior keyboard idea for gaming. A Keyboard without the stupid Windows Icon button!!!!1 I don't know how many times I hit that thing in the middle of a game while trying to press Ctrl or Alt and it sends me back to my desktop. :(

--- End quote ---

Aieeeee!  Yes.  Thankfully most games I play seem to detect this and auto-pause.

Hmmm... could it really be a feature?  "Boss is coming" key?

zridling:
Great topic, arunpawar!

Here's some of the biggest myths I've come across are:
(1) Vista doesn't run some games. I'm sure it doesn't, but it runs all my old ones quite well. (I'm not smart enough to figure out the new stuff.)

(2) Linux is hard to learn. Not really. If you setup any distro and leave it alone, the learning curve is microscopic, since so many apps are bundled with each distro. They already come loaded with OpenOffice, a text editor (or 3), multimedia apps, email/browser/PIM, archive app, up to 180 little games! and so on.

(3) Using third-party ink in your printer voids the warranty. Nah.

(4) You have to partition a large hard drive and/or defrag it often to get the best performance. Partitioning is a good idea to protect your data from the OS and system files, but defragging for performance improvement is really overrated on Windows, and never required on a GNU/Linux machine.

(5) Macs are safe from viruses. Nothing is, not even Linux. But OS X and Linux both have tens of thousands of fewer verified virus signatures than Windows. That said, Vista is certainly harder to damage than pre-2007 XP.

f0dder:
Zaine: linux is hard to learn, if you want to do more than use the preinstalled stuff. If you're just going to use it at regular user level, then sure it's easy enough... but beyond that, things very quickly become very messy.

And it's a big fat lie that you never need to defrag on linux (and it has to do with filesystems rather than linux itself). Thing is that most filesystems available on linux doesn't have defragmenters, so you're stuck with copying all data to another partition, wiping the partition you want to "defrag", and moving back the data again...

CWuestefeld:
Zaine: linux is hard to learn, if you want to do more than use the preinstalled stuff. ...

And it's a big fat lie that you never need to defrag on linux -f0dder (November 12, 2007, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with both statements.

Regarding defragging, I was once involved in a discussion with someone who wanted to defrag his flash drive. At either extreme of this debate (flash drives? not unix?) it's clear that people don't actually understand what defragging is.

mahesh2k:
"Python is Old programming language and is outdated"This is the quote or words i heard from some of the recruiters/Employers of top IT companies in india's second biggest IT city Pune.

This is something i've heard that there is no tool for visual java programming  like VB have .This is another myth cause java is having Visual J++ and Netbeans and some other commercial IDE that do thejob for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version