ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does reliable PC security have to cost money?

<< < (5/6) > >>

PhilB66:
I also seemed to have installed a '6th sense firewall' plugin that causes me to wake up and yell at my husband whenever he just thinks about getting too close to my PC while I am asleep.  ;D
-app103 (November 06, 2007, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this '6th sense firewall' open source and does it also work without a husband? You could make a killing with this tool.

iphigenie:
Husbands are no good with software  ;) Whenever I let mine use my machine for anything, something breaks  >:(

app103:
Husbands are no good with software  ;) Whenever I let mine use my machine for anything, something breaks  >:(
-iphigenie (November 07, 2007, 02:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I won't even let him get that far. I am afraid he'll break my desk before he even gets a chance to try to use the PC.

iphigenie:
lol!

I feel lucky, I tend to be able to trust him to put hardware in a case

BinderDundat:
Hi y'all - There is a new tool that looks really powerful as well as being free.  Comodo Firewall is in the process of beta testing a new version.  It has one of the best Firewalls available already (the XP firewall has really dismal test results) and they are adding a Host Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) to it.  It can configure itself for programs that Comodo has on record as signed applications (10,000+ according to them) and you can define programs as safe yourself for stuff you run that isn't signed.  You can control an application's rights for internet access, disk writes, keyboard control, monitor, control, process modification and more.  The charming part about it is that it prevents unknown applications from even starting a process in memory without your approval.  This means that you have to know enough to recognize when a rogue process is trying to do something odd, so that you don't just automatically approve it.  It also means that there is a time when you have to put up with queries about your software as you run programs that CFP has not encountered before, but I have been beta testing the newest version for about a week and the pop-ups are rare except when I install new software.  There is an "installation mode" that allows you to do an install without a dozen pop-ups and a messed up install, but you have to tell it that the installer is actually an installer and permitted to make a bunch of changes.  It also has a series of configurations that promise to make it usable for novices, but that takes all the fun out of it!!  It is still a beta, but getting nearly ready for release candidate status.   I think that this warrants keeping an eye on.  The firewall forum is at: http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_firewall-b50.0/ and the front door is: http://www.comodo.com/  There are a few other goodies there, but the only ones I can suggest are V-engine (web site verification) and BOclean.  They also offer free personal email security certificates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version