ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (15/19) > >>

AndyM:
Open your display properties and go to Settings/Advanced.  See how far to the right the little "resolution" slider will go, but don't hit "OK" unless your existing monitor can take it.
-Ralf Maximus (November 19, 2007, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

It maxes out at 1600x1200, but I don't think that's indicative.  When I had my 18" monitor hooked up, the slider maxed out at at that monitor's max res (1280x1024?).  As soon as I hooked up the 20" monitor, the slider's new max became 1600x1200.  I was hoping that hooking up a 24" monitor would make the slider go to 1920x1200, but I'd have to buy the monitor to try that experiment.

Ralf Maximus:
It maxes out at 1600x1200, but I don't think that's indicative.  When I had my 18" monitor hooked up, the slider maxed out at at that monitor's max res (1280x1024?).  As soon as I hooked up the 20" monitor, the slider's new max became 1600x1200.  I was hoping that hooking up a 24" monitor would make the slider go to 1920x1200, but I'd have to buy the monitor to try that experiment.
-AndyM (November 19, 2007, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not necessarily.  On the same tab with the "resolution" slider, click the Advanced button.  Select the Monitor tab.  Under the "Monitor Settings" turn off the little checkbox that says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display".

Then play with the slider again.

AndyM:
Under the "Monitor Settings" turn off the little checkbox that says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display".

Then play with the slider again.
-Ralf Maximus (November 19, 2007, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now it goes to 1920x1200 (until I re-checked the box for safety).

Cool, thanks!!!

Gab07x:
One of the biggest rip offs of the season is the price of the DVI Cables. They use less materials in their makeup and I was looking the other day and a 6 foot one was about $35 and a ten foot one was over $55 so since the ends are the same you are paying $5 a foot for the wire. Yeh sure !

Ralf Maximus:
Yo yo yo, Gab07x in da haus!  Welcome aboard!

One of the biggest rip offs of the season is the price of the DVI Cables. They use less materials in their makeup and I was looking the other day and a 6 foot one was about $35 and a ten foot one was over $55 so since the ends are the same you are paying $5 a foot for the wire. Yeh sure !
-Gab07x (November 19, 2007, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, the real cost is due to the genetically engineered super-spiders they use to spin the cables.  Alas, the spinnerettes on these beasts only last for a few dozen cables before the unfortunate spider must be put down -- a dangerous job, given their size and temperment.

I like to avoid the whole spider-drama by dealing with Cables 2 Go.  The best prices, and reliable as heck... I've been dealing with them for more than 20 years.  Their DVI cables still aren't cheap ($22) but I guarantee you the quality is superior.  AND they accept returns.

I guess their spiders are better fed or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version