ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (10/19) > >>

tomos:
Jeff links to this nice LCD buying guide:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide-f2007.html-nontroppo (November 06, 2007, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks nontroppo, via this link i found a review on Samsung 931BW.-lanux128 (November 06, 2007, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

it gets a good review there!

I get confused when they talk about 100nit White:
By default, the monitor has 100% brightness and 75% contrast. When the contrast setting is increased above its default, details get lost in lightest color tones. To achieve a 100nit brightness of white I reduced the brightness and contrast settings to 31% and 33%, respectively.if 100nit white is "ideal" (?) does that mean youre losing out on lots of contrast - he reduces it to 33%
had a look a a few reviews there & this seems typical - he's not complaining about it so I guess it's okay
But I'm still curious..

When i look it up in google I just get the xbitlabs site,
when i look it up in wikipedia I get a list of articles about basketball teams :tellme:

Dirhael:
I wonder how many of the resident "widescreen-haters" here uses applications that has sidebars/panels, like oh I don't know, just about every IDE available? Because if you do, I don't understand how you can stand using such programs on a 4:3, or even worse, 5:4 monitor. A dual-monitor setup can't help you with such things either, so a widescreen is the only reasonable solution.

At my previous job they used 1280x1024 (5:4) monitors, and software that always had a sidebar open...and I absolutely hated using it.

Darwin:
I'll probably be joining you in widescreen nirvana, Dirhael. I live in a small town and AFAICT widescreen is about the only choice I'll have. I'm agnostic on the issue of the merits of 4:3/5:5/16:9 from a user's perspective. Mostly because I've never used a widescreen monitor in computing. Only one in the house is on my wife's personal notebook and I haven't really tried to use it "prodcutively" (just poke around on it updating security apps and troubleshooting the odd problem for her). So we'll see... I can tell you that I always disable sidebars in software because of the real estate it takes up on my computer, so 16:9 might be a refreshing change for me and allow me to utilize features of varous apps' GUI that I've not been able to use fully in the past.

Ralf Maximus:
A dual-monitor setup can't help you with such things either, so a widescreen is the only
-Dirhael (November 07, 2007, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Explain this, please.  I'm simply drawing a blank.  My auxillary monitors are *crammed* with sidebars and toolbars and whatnot.

tomos:
A dual-monitor setup can't help you with such things either, so a widescreen is the only
-Dirhael (November 07, 2007, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Explain this, please.  I'm simply drawing a blank.  My auxillary monitors are *crammed* with sidebars and toolbars and whatnot.-Ralf Maximus (November 07, 2007, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had been thinking along Dirhaels lines but then I keep generally keep a lot of toolbars hidden.
Of course it depends on what programmes, but,
I guess with "auxillary" monitors you can feel free to open loads of toolbars & wouldnt even have to have toolbars from diff apps overlying each other..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version