ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (9/19) > >>

Curt:
I think of wide screen as ten thousand old wallpapers that will no more fit the screen.

And as letters and documents looking different on the recievers screen, from what I intended them to.

Edit: BTW:
My LCD is from before LCD was invented, I guess; it is from the previous century. 786,432 pixels.

cranioscopical:
BTW I also prefer the 4:3 format. Though if I were to buy a new LCD screen today I might get one that can be (physically) rotated 90 degrees. Very useful for those of us that read a lot of pdf files on the screen.
-Nod5 (November 06, 2007, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
To your first point, stands or mounts probably depends on the hardware supplied. I use the stands supplied with my two Samsung 214Ts (1600x1200). They provide a lot of adjustment: height, tilt, rotation. Were I to refit my study I might build the computer section around wall mounts but, for now, I have a bunch of stuff I'd rather not see lurking behind the panels so I'm content.

FWIW, I thought when I bought these monitors that it'd be as useful as all get out to rotate them to 'portrait' mode, especially for dtp etc. In fact I tried it once and never bothered to do so again. I find 1200 vertical resolution gives me all that I need for full-page 8x11" documents (reading or layout).

The way I'm set up now, I haven't room for more horizontal screens without some prior upheaval (there's a little Ralf Maximus envy here, though) but I'd sure like to have a grid of 4. That arrangement would surely need wall mounts, eh?

Ralf Maximus:
The way I'm set up now, I haven't room for more horizontal screens without some prior upheaval (there's a little Ralf Maximus envy here, though) but I'd sure like to have a grid of 4. That arrangement would surely need wall mounts, eh?

--- End quote ---

Nah.  You just need a standard-size desk with nothing else on the back half, and accept the loss of physical real-estate.

I *used* to have three 19" glass monitors, and that was retarded.  I barely had room for my keyboard and had to sit back in my chair to avoid bumping my nose into Windows.  The pic below is a bit out of date -- I now have four identical Acer 19" panels instead of the mix-and-mash... but it serves to illustrate.

cranioscopical:
Nah.  You just need a standard-size desk with nothing else on the back half, and accept the loss of physical real-estate.
I *used* to have three 19" glass monitors, and that was retarded.  I barely had room for my keyboard and had to sit back in my chair to avoid bumping my nose into Windows.
-Ralf Maximus (November 06, 2007, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right but...

My computer desk is 63".  The two monitors I now have take up 37".  So, I could have 3 without changing built-in furniture but I'm thinking of four.
Some of the new, larger Acer monitors look interesting and have been reasonably well reviewed (and are going for a song compared to the amount I paid for mine not so long ago -- always true that).  Perhaps 3 of those would work well. 

I find buying monitors to be a bit problematic.  The only real way to tell if a particular model is right is to run it in situ and then with the kinds of applications one uses regularly.  So few places are set up to allow even the latter.  Also, it gets a bit expensive to upgrade 2 or 3 at a time and I don't want mismatched panels (though reduced prices probably mean that buying three, now, would cost less than my current two did when new).

I know what you mean about sitting back from large CRTs.  I have a few 22" Philips still in my basement.  You can't give them away these days ;D

lanux128:
Jeff links to this nice LCD buying guide:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide-f2007.html-nontroppo (November 06, 2007, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks nontroppo, via this link i found a review on Samsung 931BW.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version