ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (3/19) > >>

f0dder:
On the other hand, what João comments, having two files side by side, it's a big plus, and a true one, not mentioned too often.
-Lashiec (November 05, 2007, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer dual monitor for this. I often have documentation in one monitor and coding in the other. Or I can leave IRC on in one monitor while I do stuff on the other. It's nice!
-Deozaan (November 05, 2007, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Same here - MSDN + cmd.exe on the right monitor, visual studio on the left. Oh, and mirc/miranda etc. underneath the MSDN window :-[ . Also works for games, game on the left monitor and IM stuff on the right. Wonderful.

I like the 4:3 format
but imagine with widescreen I'd be able to work nicely on my 4:3 (Olympus) photos
& have a nice bit of space at the end for the tools/panels
-tomos (November 05, 2007, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Get two monitors - run the main photoshop window on one of them, drag the tool panels onto the other. It's so much nicer being able to hit "maximize" and only maxing to one monitor, instead of having to manually dragresize windows (ok, or use gridmove :)).

lanux128:
thanks guys for all the comments & suggestion. i'm glad that Samsung looks to be the favourite here in DC. the dual-screen idea is very tempting but it's slightly out of my budget. i have been thinking of getting one now and another one six months down the road but i'm afraid that model might not be available by then..

i also checked out the DVI part and from the table i saw in the specs part (pic), i guess i'm covered here..

Source: http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_digital/ls19mewsfxaa.asp?page=Specifications

Darwin:
I'm going to have to take the plunge and get a secondary monitor. This thread is an interesting read - most interesting to me is the discussion around USB ports and such - WTF? I'm slow at the best of times, but tonight I'm having real difficulty envisioning what good such a feature would be, except to increase the number of USB ports available on one's computer.

f0dder:
Doesn't matter too much if you can't get the exact same model (if you don't matter a heterogenous look on your desktop), you can even mix and match resolutions (although I wouldn't recommend it).

I personally run 2x17" TFTs at 1280x1024 each, once is an Acer AL1722 (the primary monitor) and the other is an AL1715 - works like a charm. I'd go for 19" if I had the money though, or 20" to get 1600x1200... but this setup is nice :)

I'm going to have to take the plunge and get a secondary monitor. This thread is an interesting read - most interesting to me is the discussion around USB ports and such - WTF? I'm slow at the best of times, but tonight I'm having real difficulty envisioning what good such a feature would be, except to increase the number of USB ports available on one's computer.
-Darwin (November 05, 2007, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Having an USB hub in your monitor could be decent, but it's nothing vital imho. One of my monitors has another kind of USB connector though, it basically lets me access the monitor on-screen menu via software instead of pushing the buttons. Somewhat useless to me, but it's a gimmick nonetheless.

Darwin:
I have a friend that bought a 21.4" Samsung with 3000:1 contrast ratio. I'm not sure why he needed it (suspect he doesn't) but I'm gathering from people's choices here that 800:1 (which is a lot cheaper where I am) would be just fine for normal usage?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version