ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (2/19) > >>

mouser:
I have a pair of Samsung 204b lcd monitors.

Moving to lcds was one of the best things i did -- huge benefit in terms of desk space and no downsides.

I'm very happy with the samsungs, though i have to say after moving them to a new house after a year they both developed little areas of discoloration.

Personally i went for 2 side-by-side normal aspect ratio screens, rather than 1 widescreen.  the trend these days seems to be for widescreen, but i prefer 2 normals.

As far as not having things like usb ports, i wouldn't give that the slighted thought -- not important at all. 

Lashiec:
I prefer 4:3 as well, you get plenty of space, and if you can afford two, the better. Manufacturers are pushing wide screen panels because they're cheaper to make, but, objectively speaking, none of the so called pluses are actually that, like for example, that you get a bigger screen (LOL) or a 16:9 screen feels more natural for reading (of course, go to those sites that expand the layout to fill all the screen, like NeoGAF, to see how nice and natural feels reading something like that).

On the other hand, what João comments, having two files side by side, it's a big plus, and a true one, not mentioned too often.

Deozaan:
I'll just say this: My first LCD monitor I bought had built-in speakers. They suck! I didn't go all out for quality as I was just trying to get a monitor for my new computer but I'd rather they spend the money on quality of picture than throwing in some useless speakers/usb/whatevers.

Quality of picture is most important. Anything else is fluff.

Definitely get DVI. I'd go for dual DVI if I could, but that's because I have two computers and two monitors. One computer is dual monitor, the other isn't. In other words, two computers are using the same monitor. It's like a TV you can switch the inputs on. It's nice, but the quality is limited on one computer since it's a DVI/VGA and the other monitor only has one VGA (no DVI). :-(

You could also get a small HDTV with a DVI so you can connect your TV/PC/Whatever to it.

Deozaan:
On the other hand, what João comments, having two files side by side, it's a big plus, and a true one, not mentioned too often.
-Lashiec (November 05, 2007, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer dual monitor for this. I often have documentation in one monitor and coding in the other. Or I can leave IRC on in one monitor while I do stuff on the other. It's nice!

tomos:
I like the 4:3 format
but imagine with widescreen I'd be able to work nicely on my 4:3 (Olympus) photos
& have a nice bit of space at the end for the tools/panels

but I wonder would a regular 19" monitor have more height than a 19" widescreen?
24" please :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version