ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (18/19) > >>

lanux128:
just a foot-note: i've finally bought the Samsung 931BW mentioned in the 1st post and i'd like to thank everyone for their input which helped me very much. i am still trying to get used to all that extra width which does look like a plus point. however the anticipated price-drop didn't materialize.

and also nudone had made a wide-screen cody-horizon wallpaper to go with it! :Thmbsup:

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

tomos:
well, I've finally gone widescreen (& flatscreen lol) - just yesterday so still adjusting

16:10 as opposed to 4:3 (which is 16:12 :-\)
It's amazing how much difference those two units make to the proportions of the screen. I miss the 4:3 format and would ideally like two 4:3's, I think, but space is limited. Maybe on a 24" (as opposed to 22") the screen wouldnt feel quite so compressed (top to bottom)

Got this one Dell 2209WA - 'only' 22 inch but has an e-IPS panel (as opposed to TN) so has great viewing angles and almost perfect sRGB colour out of the box. Have the option to return it within two weeks but suspect I'll be sticking with it :) 
(It's a great price here but not the best for gamers I think)

all else I can say at the moment is thank João for Gridmove ;)

cranioscopical:
well, I've finally gone widescreen (& flatscreen lol) - just yesterday so still adjusting
-tomos (January 06, 2010, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Congratulations on the change!
I know that uneasy feeling when switching from 4:3. One does grow accustomed to the change, however, and the extra real-estate is useful. For me it was important not to cede vertical resolution but to add horizontal resolution  -- I didn't want just a change of format.
When one of a pair of 4:3's failed here, and there was no replacement to be found (model no longer available), I changed to a pair of wide screens. Now I'd be reluctant to go back.

Let us know how you get on  :up:

tomos:
-tomos (January 06, 2010, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Congratulations on the change!
-cranioscopical (January 06, 2010, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks Chris  :D

I've have gotten more vertical resolution over my last monitor, it's just getting used to the proportion that makes the screen *feel* compressed.
So far I find it's great for drawing, working on photos, having two dualscreen filemanager windows open (!),
far too wide for to maximise a browser window though, but yeah it's growing on me all the time, and true - there's very few new 4:3 models being produced (if any)

f0dder:
Yeah, pretty hard to find 4:3 monitors nowadays - the ones I've come around have been priced way too high, so I ended up with a 22" 1680x1050 when one of my 1280x1024 17" monitors died (and then one of my friends gave me his old almost-identical 22" monitor as a birthday present - wow I have plenty of screen estate now :-O).

I kinda still prefer non-widerscreen - but at least the space can be used for toolbars in my programming environments :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version