ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

To wide-screen or not to wide-screen

<< < (11/19) > >>

Dirhael:
A dual-monitor setup can't help you with such things either, so a widescreen is the only
-Dirhael (November 07, 2007, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Explain this, please.  I'm simply drawing a blank.  My auxillary monitors are *crammed* with sidebars and toolbars and whatnot.
-Ralf Maximus (November 07, 2007, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, consider the attached screenshot. How would I get *just* the "projects" and "toolbox" panels on a secondary monitor? I don't want any other part of the window moved off my primary screen. Yes, some programs will let you use floating toolbars/panels but a whole lot of them don't and in such cases a dual/triple/whatever monitor setup won't help you.

Ralf Maximus:
Ah.  MDI.  Boo, hiss. :-)

Everything I use has floating and/or tear-off dockable toolbars which can be dragged wherever.  So I've not encountered this particular issue.

You're right: if the app doesn't support floating toolbars, a wide-screen solution would be best.

f0dder:
I wonder how many of the resident "widescreen-haters" here uses applications that has sidebars/panels, like oh I don't know, just about every IDE available? Because if you do, I don't understand how you can stand using such programs on a 4:3, or even worse, 5:4 monitor. A dual-monitor setup can't help you with such things either, so a widescreen is the only reasonable solution.
-Dirhael (November 07, 2007, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Tear-off boxes, perhaps? But okay, not every piece of software supports that.

Even without tearing off toolboxes, and having a bar on each side, I have quite enough space on 1280x1024 with visual studio... but I don't believe in extremely long source lines.

Tekzel:
Ah.  MDI.  Boo, hiss. :-)

Everything I use has floating and/or tear-off dockable toolbars which can be dragged wherever.  So I've not encountered this particular issue.

You're right: if the app doesn't support floating toolbars, a wide-screen solution would be best.
-Ralf Maximus (November 07, 2007, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.  The ultimate best is dual wide screens :)   Best of both worlds for me!

lanux128:
when i encounter all those toolbars & sidebars, i normally hide them or set it to appear on-demand but with Dirhael's idea, i'm thinking that maybe it's worth the width of a wide-screen.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version