ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which MP3 tagger do you use?

<< < (9/16) > >>

Lashiec:
Notice that the freeware one is "Mp3tag" and the shareware "mp3tag". This is what happens when you choose a popular name ;D

Curt:
I have been trying MP3tag for a couple of months, and was overall pleased with it. The reason I nevertheless have ditched it is because it was ruining MP3Ext's ability to read the bit rates. I cannot imagine what MP3tag is doing to the files, when tagging them, that are changing the signal the file later is sending to the MP3Ext's bit-rate reader, but it is doing something.

I am now trying Tag&Rename (3.5 RC 1), MP3 Collector, and some others, instead.

---

This thread is a little old, and maybe needs to be updated,
so I guess it is 'appropriate' to repeat masu's initial question:

Which MP3 tagger do you use?  :tellme:

TheQwerty:
I cannot imagine what MP3tag is doing to the files, when tagging them, that are changing the signal the file later is sending to the MP3Ext's bit-rate reader, but it is doing something.-Curt (January 28, 2009, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd be willing to bet that you have MP3Tag set to write ID3v2.4 (which I believe is the default) and MP3Ext only handles or prefers ID3v2.3 or earlier.  But it's a bit of a wild guess since I've never used MP3Ext and don't know much about it.

You could change that in MP3Tag and test it; the option is found at Tool -> Options -> Tags -> Mpeg.

I do all my tagging within Foobar2000 and MP3Tag and they've both worked extremely well for me for many years.

Dirhael:
I cannot imagine what MP3tag is doing to the files, when tagging them, that are changing the signal the file later is sending to the MP3Ext's bit-rate reader, but it is doing something.-Curt (January 28, 2009, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd be willing to bet that you have MP3Tag set to write ID3v2.4 (which I believe is the default) and MP3Ext only handles or prefers ID3v2.3 or earlier.  But it's a bit of a wild guess since I've never used MP3Ext and don't know much about it.

You could change that in MP3Tag and test it; the option is found at Tool -> Options -> Tags -> Mpeg.

I do all my tagging within Foobar2000 and MP3Tag and they've both worked extremely well for me for many years.
-TheQwerty (January 28, 2009, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've used mp3tag for quite some time now and I've never had problems with the files after tagging them (well, except the id3v2.3 vs 2.4 issue with some players but that's hardly a fault of mp3tag).

If you really do believe that whatever program you're using to tag files are altering the audio data itself, use foobar2000 with the offical Binary Comparator component to check the files (just create a copy of the files before tagging, then compare them with tagged copies).

Curt:
--- End quote ---
I'd be willing to bet that you have MP3Tag set to write ID3v2.4 (which I believe is the default) and MP3Ext only handles or prefers ID3v2.3 or earlier. 
-TheQwerty (January 28, 2009, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

- your bet might not be taken, and MP3Ext has not been updated for five years, so your explanation *should* seem likely. However, I have now transcoded all the files in question, using MediaCoder, and once they have been transcoded (to the very same bit rate as they already were) they are  being displayed correctly, by MP3Ext. Meaning, the error could not have been caused by the tags, but must have been caused by the file's bit-rate coding, or whatever. Apparently altered by MP3tag.

Or what? Does MediaCoder maybe also alter the tags, without telling?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version